Help: Installing A Modded (Unlocked?) BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlauzon76

Nov 13, 2012
I am looking to install the Insyde 1.12 Unlocked BIOS for my Acer Aspire V3-771G, I currently have the stock version of the Insyde 1.12 BIOS installed, so I am unsure if I can actually install what amounts to the same BIOS, although unlocked, over it.

The stock BIOS can be installed directly from within Windows and also has a DOS installer as well, but I am not sure about the unlocked BIOS. Here is a screenshot of the files within the zip file for the unlocked BIOS:

OqSG4ob.png

The BIOS itself can be found for download here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24459764/Acer_Aspire_V3-771G_Unlocked.zip

There are no instructions in the zip archive, which I think is just stupid!
Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this, because I assume there are people here who have installed unlocked BIOS in their PCs before?

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I do not know what you are referring to with the term "UnLocked BIOS".

The Term BIOS is referred to the Firmware Program that controls the various chip-set components on the MainBoard.

I always use the MB Manufacture's recommended DOS BIOS Flash Utility along with whatever Version, Updated or Modification of the BIOS "BIN" File to re-write the entire BIOS Program or just specific parts of the existing firmware installed on the MainBoard. ALWAYS BackUp the Existing MB Firmware using the FLASH Utility.

I have NEVER Failed Flashing the MB Bios using the recommended Flash Utility accompanied with the Firmware BIN file located on a FAT Partition located on the System HDD, Bootable DOS Floppy (Never trusted Flashing from a Floppy), Optic ISO 9660 Disc or USB Flash Drive formated FAT that can be accessed using something as simple as a WinME Boot Disc that can be used if you have a Floppy Drive or DOS Boot able (WinME Boot Disc) Imaged as a Boot Partition onto whatever DOS Boot on a FAT HDD Partition, USB Flash or Optic ISO 9660 Drive.

Word of caution is you better make sure that term "UNLOCKED" BIOS is Specific for your MB and you know Exactly what it does.

I've Modified various Instructions on MainBoard Bios and Back it up to a Re-Written Firmware but always keep a copy of the Original MB Firmware that is presently operating the MB.

Last edited:

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Don't take my advice directly and wander off to go flash, but...
VAGV112.fd = BIOS
FWUpdLcl.exe = DOS Updater
InsydeFlash.exe = Win Updater

So from DOS, you would use a command like:
FWUpdLcl VAGV112.fd

From within Windows, you might be able to just run InsydeFlash and then it will ask you to pick the BIOS.

InsydeFlash. exe probably has help built into it, try running it from a command prompt, like:
C:\InsydeFlash /?
or
C:\InsydeFlash -h
or
C:\InsydeFlash /help

FWUpdLcl may as well, worth a shot.

That's about all the help I have since I've never used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.