Help, I'm building a game system

seungboy

Jun 21, 2000
Hello,

I just got a new job and so i'm thinking about building a new machine to play games on. what do you recommend? I was thinking about going dual processing. what do you think? thanks.

-seung

Lance

May 24, 2000
Well... what games do you play? How much money can you blow on this? Planning on building it yourself, right?

A dual isn't worth it if you just play games, though. Save the cash or buy better speakers, a burner, etc.

seungboy

Jun 21, 2000
Hello,

I just started play unreal and i like to play games like aoe and aoe2. I also want to use it to crack rc5. I planning on spending about $3000. I already have two burner, and a nice speaker system. thanks.

-seung

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I say if you're planning to crack RC5, dual is excellent
my friends' Dual 466 @ 582 on BP6 turns in good numbers!
but its not so friendly for gaming and also win2k or NT must be used
for both RC5 and games i'd go for an Athlon, maybe an 800, tests have shown the 800 has a large performance increase over the 750 for some reason and it's close in price, I still haven't decided what to do yet either with my system, i can either keep my good ol P3B-F and get a PIII 700E or get something like an ABIT KA7 and get an Athlon 800-850 for the same price as the PIII
i'm mostly into games and i know the Athlon will smoke the PIII but i'm not so sure about compatibilities and other crap, i might just end up with the PIII.

I kinda just like biting the bullet and buying something if i can't make up my mind, i wasn't disappoited the last few times i do that! and it's kinda fun, heheheh :D