*help* I was in a car accident. Need advice.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
About an hour ago I was waiting at a light with a bunch of people behind me. The light turned green, I went, and a car came around in the right lane. He clipped me moving in to my lane. (The "right" lane only exists for a short distance around stop lights because of parking)

The guy then drove two blocks and I followed. He turned in to an alley just before the next light and I turned in after. He then went through the alley and out the other side across a busy street. I could not follow because of traffic.

I didn't have a pen but I promptly called my answering machine using my cell phone and recorded the license # and make/model of the car. I went home, wrote all the info down, and went and filed a police report.

The damage was superficial. There is a scrape between the right front passenger wheel and the front bumper. My car is an '89 Buick Park Avenue. I took pics, but I left them at home. I came back to work after filing the police report.

The question is, what do I do about insurance? The guy that hit me was driving a shiny new Chevy Blazer with temporary plates. It most likely hurt his car a lot more than mine. I hope the police find them, but if they don't what good is reporting this to the insurance? I probably won't get it fixed anyway. Do I wait and see what the police find? Do I call the insurance right away with the police report? What is the next step I should take?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Changed the title to something more attention grabbing. ;)

Update: Here are some pics.
Damage1.jpg
Damage2.jpg
Damage3.jpg

No word from the police yet.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
If you're not going to get it fixed then don't bother calling your insurance. If the police find the guy deal with his insurance.

This is assuming (from the sounds of it) that its totally his fault.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Get his insurrance company name from the police. They should be able to look it up. If not try your DMV or your own insurrance company as they have ways of finding stuff out.

Where I am, that would be classed as hit and run. He would be arrested here when they track him down.

Once you get the name of his insurrance company, go and tell them what happened. Unreported accidents are a good reason to lose coverage.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Where insurance is involved, you are always wanted to call them immediately! They instruct that the only thing you should do before contacting them is to provide aid to injured where possible, and to contact the authorities.

The only exception would be if you feel that your interests are better served by assuming minor costs in a case where making a claim may subject you to higher premiums or closer scrutiny and would rather not involve your insurer, or perhaps the deductible is too high to make it worthwhile in cases where you are liable (that's all terrible to ponder, but sadly often true).

I should think your insurer will commend you for taking the steps you did to hold the guilty party accountable, but otherwise you must contact them ASAP if you want their assistance. Best of luck!

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: NutBucket
If you're not going to get it fixed then don't bother calling your insurance. If the police find the guy deal with his insurance.

This is assuming (from the sounds of it) that its totally his fault.

Yes it was totally his fault. There is only one lane in each direction on that road and parking on either side. Around lights parking isn't allowed, and that turns in to an extra lane on the right which is fairly short, and generally used by those turning at the light. The other car moved in to the right lane around others waiting at the light and then clipped me trying to get back in the left lane (I was the first person in line at the light).

From my perspective the fault lies fully on the other person.

MarklarMarklar

Oct 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Kyteland[/i.

I didn't have a pen but I promptly called my answering machine using my cell phone and recorded the license # and make/model of the car. I went home, wrote all the info down, and went and filed a police report.

Good thinking. Let us know if the police catch him/her.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Hopefully you can get him for leaving an accident too. I'd contact the police immediately - what have they said? They should be able to go to his house and ask to look at his vehicle.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Well, just got off the phone with the insurance company. Now I'll have to wait and see what happens with the police.