Help!!!! I think I got hosed at BestBuy

skippy33

Jan 30, 2003
I read from a lower thread about a person who bought one card and ended up getting another. Well, I saw an open box Radeon 9700pro built by ATI at best buy for $349. It had a $50 mail in rebate, so I bought it. Well, I downloaded Rage3d tweak, and the Readeonator, anad both say it is at 297mhz core, and 263mhz memory. The advanced tab in display properties says " 9700AGP [ND] ", but the speeds are way off. Is this a another card? or can clock speeds fluctuate this much?

StumbleBum1

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
I think what you have is a 9500pro because I have one and my display properties reads the same 9700AGP (ND) also the clock and memory speeds checks out for a 9500 pro

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It was an open box? I wonder if the previous "owner" who had a 9500Pro decided to get a "free upgrade" by returning the wrong card, and cheating the store out of their money. I wouldn't mind seeing the people that do that get some jail time.
Maybe you can get your money back on it somehow; I don't know that telling them "it's a 9500 Pro" would be good, cause they have no way of knowing it wasn't you that did it...I've never dealt with this kind of thing though, so I really don't know what can be done. Anyone else have suggestions?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
It was an open box? I wonder if the previous "owner" who had a 9500Pro decided to get a "free upgrade" by returning the wrong card, and cheating the store out of their money. I wouldn't mind seeing the people that do that get some jail time.
Maybe you can get your money back on it somehow; I don't know that telling them "it's a 9500 Pro" would be good, cause they have no way of knowing it wasn't you that did it...I've never dealt with this kind of thing though, so I really don't know what can be done. Anyone else have suggestions?

Yep, take it back ASAP. Unscrupulous folks have been known to even brag about this very feat on these boards. 9700pro is 325/310 at stock speeds and there are differences in the PCB as well. The RAM is also 2.8ns Samsung BGA.

Chiz

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
Are all four of the memory chips in a row above the gpu (9500pro)? Or are their two above and two to the right of it (9700/9700pro)?

Flight

Jul 29, 2002
Never buy an opened item from any store unless you get a written guarantee from the store manager that you can return it for a full refund if there are problems.

While this does not sound like purposeful bait and switch because of the open box situation, I had a similar thing happen with aib.com who advertised the retail ATI 8500 DVI and when I received it , it was a Sapphire OEM not even in a box. I of course returned the card saying it was not what I ordered and they wouldn't make it right. Even kept $25 shipping plus I had to pay to ship it back. When I ordered according to the sight shipping was free. Just a warning to beware of who you order from.

Hopefully, Best Buy will make it right to keep you as a customer. Good luck!!

filmore crashcart

Dec 18, 1999
Somebody dumped their powercolor pro in the box and took it back to best buy. The powercolor "pro" oem 9700 has clock speeds exactly like that.

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
They do, but people also tend to re-shrinkwrap the box sometimes. It's not hard to do at all. If it looks new and unopened, it goes back on the shelf.

On that same note, I've this happen to me once at CircuitCity. Bought a Creative 12mb V2 for $149.95. The box was still shrink wrapped, but when I opened it, there was nothing but a phone book and some crumpled paper inside the box. I had already taken the box home so I was lucky that the store manager believed my story and refunded my money when I took it back.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: pillage2001
WTF. Don't BEstbuy check what is in the box before they take it back?!?!

they check the boxes, but i imagine that few best buy employees can tell at sight the difference between the various 9700 cards, which do, afterall, basically all look the same.

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
I bought an open box D-link 22mbps wireless card and the connector on the end isn't molded correctly, one of the holes is actually completely cloged with plastic. This pluged hole actually bent the pin that was susposed to go in it. It was ten dollars less but not worth it, especially since I live 100 miles from the nearest Best Buy (going to exchange it next friday (hopefully I'll still get the ten dollars off for being an open box))

Edit: I guess I should actually comment on the thread. | It is truly hard to believe that somebody would do something like that. But I absolutly believe somebody bought a 9500pro put it in the 9700pro box and took it back and got a $360 card for $200. Jeez, people these days!!!:disgust: