Help!!! I dropped my computer and it wont boot...

squirrelman

Jan 1, 2001
So i'm going for a LAN and thanks to my stupid little sister i trip and drop my computer. It didnt hit too hard and it was on carpeting. So i check and all that i can see is wrong right away is that the fan can unclipped from my XP120 and the fan also can unplugged. So i rehook that up and plug it in when i turn the power supply on all the fans go, then i hit the button to turn the system on and nothing. It wont boot up. I think i've checked everything but please anyone? What could be wrong, what can I check? I'd love to still go to the lan but it looks bad now. I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with an A64 3000+ cooled by an XP120.

Jun 14, 2003
you checked all power connections?

any rattles? (if u can shake your case alittle)

not sure if this would do anything but how about trying to clear the CMOS? (to find the jumpers look in your mobo manual) this might help.

that heatsink is heavy no? depending on the force exerted to it there could be a possibility that it dislodged the cpu or something (stabbing in the dark here btw) errmm the graphics card may have just slightly dislodged out of the AGP port, so then you'd get no signal to screen and the appearance of no boot up.

jus try you never know

report back

Jun 14, 2003
jus check every thing...every connection, the most you can do is maybe dismantle the computer and then rebuild it. if you had the time that is

mircea

Dec 24, 2004
Yeah get it to the LAN, and instead of letting them play have them let you use parts to troubleshoot. Start with their GPU and forget the best you find in your rig ;)

Anyways good luck rebuilding, and hope everything goes smooth.

GprophetB

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2003
make sure you re seat your memory as well

i would bet that its either that or your powersupply got jarred loose (check the atx connector on the mobo as well)

squirrelman

Jan 1, 2001
well i checked all the connectors, even bought some nice rounded ide cables to clean it up while i'm at it. No dice. I checked the memory it didnt seem loose and there was no beeps when i tried to turn it on with the power switch, just nothing. I wasnt able to try to reseat the CPU, i couldnt figure how to get the Heatsink off lol. Its an XP120 again if anyone can be how any help as to how to remove that monster, those clips dont seem to want to go anywhere.

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Do you have the "D-bracket 2" installed? (USB Bracket w/4 LED's that came with MB). If so, what do the lights on the back look like. If all 4 LED's are lit, then it's a CPU connection problem. The light sequence will tel you what the boot is hanging on.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Did you check the motherboard around the processor socket for small cracks or stress marks. The weight of the HSF can cause the motherboard to actually crack, especially when the computer is dropped. That is one of the reasons that motherboards/cpu's always have a specification for the weight of the HSF assembly.