Help! Horrible SSD Benchmarks

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
So I just got a nice Agility 2 SSD and have run a couple of benchmark. They are all sub 150MB/S.

Sandra, for example, reports around 135 MB/S read speed!

Any ideas? I know I have AHCI enabled and trim working.

It just struck me that maybe I have SATA 150. I am running a Dell Studio 1535 w/ Intel X3100 Graphics. Is it possible something that old would only have 150?

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
sata 1 is 150 and is without NCQ. the main benefit of SSD is the ability to simultaneously render reads/writes using many flash chips. without ncq you are issuing a command and waiting. this is what is killing your performance NOT the 150mb/s.

speed is not better than concurrency and latency unless you are producing video only

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
What does that mean? It's still way faster than a regular hard drive.

Well hold on. I have the Santa Rosa Intel GM965 chipset that is ICH8 and therefore supports SATA300.

Why isn't it working! Argh! Stupid Dell.

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
are you putting in the primary drive position or the optical caddy location aka cdrom slot

sub.mesa

Feb 16, 2010
Post an AS SSD screenshot showing you are using the Microsoft IDE/AHCI driver; if not you may well run without TRIM support.

Also, if you indeed don't have AHCI support, you won't have NCQ either, which leads to low random read benchmark score with multiple queue depth (32/64).

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
Post an AS SSD screenshot showing you are using the Microsoft IDE/AHCI driver; if not you may well run without TRIM support.

Also, if you indeed don't have AHCI support, you won't have NCQ either, which leads to low random read benchmark score with multiple queue depth (32/64).

Ok I will later. Definitely using AHCI and trim though. I checked in the bios and also typed some command into the command prompt to verify that trim was working.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
ICH8 and therefore supports SATA300

Actually an ICH8M for mobile and many times manfgs. limit the speed for decreased power consumption in laptops.

I suppose you could try changing the power functions to "balls to the wall at all times" but this wouldn't be the first time that a laptop was limited to SATAI speeds.

I hope you can find a way around it cause that would make you a very popular guy! :)

flamenko

Apr 25, 2010
www.thessdreview.com
Thought... Use Crystal and set the menu options to 0Fill or 1Fill or run ATTO. Different programs give different results with respect to the compression methods of the ssd itself.