Help Find Steve Fossett - ATOT Effect Needed

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Background

On Monday, September 3, 2007, Steve Fossett, the first person to fly a plane around the world without refueling and the first person to fly around the world in a balloon went missing in Nevada. An airplane he was flying failed to return. No one has any idea where he is.

Through the generous efforts of individuals at several organizations, detailed satellite imagery has been made available for his last known whereabouts.

Amazon.com's Mechanical Turk has volunteered to help with the search. By reviewing recent satellite imagery, you can help narrow down the search to a few sites of interest for searchers to examine more thoroughly. All you need to participate is an Amazon account (or you can create one very easily). You'll be given slices of satellite imagery to mark whether or not they contain foreign objects that could be his plane or the wreckage.

I figure the regulars and lurkers of ATOT might have some spare time to assist in the search.

http://www.mturk.com/mturk/pre...35XEZJZG21T60&kw=Flash

techfuzz

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Whats a mechanical turk? an android from Turkey?

What is Amazon Mechanical Turk?

In 1769, Hungarian nobleman Wolfgang von Kempelen astonished Europe by building a mechanical chess-playing automaton that defeated nearly every opponent it faced. A life-sized wooden mannequin, adorned with a fur-trimmed robe and a turban, Kempelen's "Turk" was seated behind a cabinet and toured Europe confounding such brilliant challengers as Benjamin Franklin and Napoleon Bonaparte. To persuade skeptical audiences, Kempelen would slide open the cabinet's doors to reveal the intricate set of gears, cogs and springs that powered his invention. He convinced them that he had built a machine that made decisions using artificial intelligence. What they did not know was the secret behind the Mechanical Turk: a human chess master cleverly concealed inside.

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
There were about 100k units left when I logged off last night. How many left as now? (mturk blocked at work :()

Did they add any more units?

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: ravana
There were about 100k units left when I logged off last night. How many left as now? (mturk blocked at work :()

Just about to go under 36k :)

techfuzz

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by: techfuzz
Originally posted by: ravana

Just about to go under 36k :)

techfuzz

That's cool :thumbsup:

edfcmc

May 24, 2001
this is really cool. too bad they cant do a fossett@home project. i can only handle looking at the pics for about 5 mins at a time.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Cut and paste the co-ordinates found next to the image tile below into the "Fly To" box in the top left corner of Google Earth.

GeoEye-Ikonos_1m checkHideChildren 38.98382127 37.98073947 -118.89211714 -119.55456376 0 -1 http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/Fossett-RGB/GeoEye_RGB/index.kml

what am I doing wrong :confused:

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
The year is 2007, and the last plane takes off from hotel magnate Barron Hilton's Flying M Ranch in Nevada. In a freak mishap, the single-engine Bellanca Super Decathlon and former commodities broker turned aviator Steve "Buck" Fossett, are blown out of their trajectory into an orbit which freezes his life support systems, and returns Steve Fossett to Earth... 500 years later.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I read about google earth taking high resolution photos after the incident asking for people to scan them. If they set up a grid and had people search those areas it would probably work, but haphazardly searching is not effective.

I don't know what the latest in the search is, but I have managed many "real" ground searches for missing people. This is like flying in a helo, they should be doing a grid pattern.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
wait, they're putting the life of this dude into the hands of random people off the internet?

that dude's fucked

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Back to 39k available hits. They must have added more when the last grouping was exhausted.

techfuzz

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
This si a really cool project, but I am thinking the man is either in Tahiti and doesn't want to be found or Aliens kidnapped him and his plane. I hope if I ever go missing people will search for me this hard.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KB
This si a really cool project, but I am thinking the man is either in Tahiti and doesn't want to be found or Aliens kidnapped him and his plane. I hope if I ever go missing people will search for me this hard.

Are you insanely rich?

oh wait...this is ATOT, of course you are