Help: Duron 700 poor overclocking

rbenq

Aug 21, 2000
I can only push my 700 Duron to 735 (105 x 7). No matter the voltage I apply to the core, 735 is the limit to have a stable chip.
The temp is around 57°C using a simple cooler and 1.7 volt.
A better cooling, say water, will provide me a decent o´c or the problem relies on the chip itself, i mean, its one of those poor overclockers...

Thanx in advance, Ben.

BossDog

Jun 21, 2000
What board do you have and what hsf? 57c at idle is way too hot...also there are severe fsb limitations with boards that do not support the 266mhz fsb.

rbenq

Aug 21, 2000
Bossdog,

I have an ASUS A7Pro with a HSF that I do not know but its the smaller I´ve seen...
But I was thinking: with a better cooling will I get more from the beast or shall try another chip, say 750 or 800 Mhz Duron ?

Regards, Ben.

joeyd

Jun 7, 2000
my 650 was runing at 900 at 1.8 volts 48c in asus probe.... go out and buy a fop32 and see how that works or a tasiol and see if you can get to 900 then move to watercooling... your chip is going to fry soon man ... i'll have my eggs sunny side up ;)

ledzepp98

Golden Member
Oct 31, 2000
does the a7pro allow for multiplier adjustments (i would assume so but i'm not sure)? if so, unlock the chip and overclock that way so you can actually see what the chip can do. i seriously doubt the chip itself can only do 735 (i would think that if it could only go up to 735 stable it would have been sold as a 600 or 650). i have two probable causes for your overclocking problem...

1) heat!!! 57c is within spec but way too hot to overclock
2) ram. since you are upping the fsb you are also upping the ram. i have had ram that would run fine at its rated speed but literally would not be stable at even 1-2mhz above it. i think your ram is crapping out.

rbenq

Aug 21, 2000
LedZepp98,

A7Pro is almost the same as a A7V133 (the only diff I could realize is the A7V133´s ATA 100 capability).
I´m using 105MHz FSB and 140 MHz RAM.
I have tried 110 MHz FSB and 110 MHz RAM, but the system sometimes crashes. So I think its not the RAM as I can run it at 140 Mhz without problems.
I also think that unlocking can make difference only if you have reached the limit of FSB O´C. In my case 7 x 133 MHz. (Now its only a dream...)

As you and the others said, HSF must be the key. Going out for a new one.

Thanx, Ben.

BossDog

Jun 21, 2000
I have to agree ledzepp here in that you should try a multiplier overclock to find out what the chip is actually capable of. The fsb overclock stresses the whole system and there is likely a weak component in there (besides your high temp level.) Is your chip unlocked? If not, it is quite easy to do and there are some guides in the forums. I have a duron 750 @927 with a full load temp of 43.5C. You should have similar results. If you could give us a full component list, we might be able to figure it out.

P.S. You shouldnt have to run the duron at 1.7volts if you are only at 735. Try lowering the voltage as it should help your temps.

meganuke

May 2, 2001
I've got my 700 at 1000 with air cooling. At full load, with the asus probe (A7V mobo) it reads 48-50 C. Yours sounds a little on the hot side.

I would definitely recommend going for the multiplier instead of the FSB. You'll probably get much more out of the chip, and the system should be more stable since you aren't overclocking all of the components. You should only need 1.6 volts to run at 735, since that's the default voltage for a 750 Duron.

Try backing the voltage down to 1.6, unlock the L1 bridges, and try to boot at 7.5 X 100 FSB. If that works and gets you into windows with good stability, try 8.0 X 100, and so on... This process takes a few days, in my opinion. My chip wouldn't overclock very well (max 800) when I first got it. I ran it at 700 for 24 hours under full load using RC5. Then, I went to 750 for 24 hours. Eventually, it topped out at 1000. It stays up for weeks at a time. The only time I have to shut it down or reboot is when I add a component.

Hope this helps. Good luck!