Help deciding on a monitor

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Guru, Dec 6, 2017.

?

Which monitor do you think I should go for?

1. Samsung one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LG one

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Guru

Guru Member

My general question is if its better to go for a 75hz refresh rate monitor at 5ms response time or 60hz refresh rate monitor and 1ms response time.

I'm leaning towards the 75hz one since its cheaper and apart from the more expensive monitors, most seem to have 4-6 ms response time, so how worse can the image quality be over a 1ms monitor?

I'll be using the monitor for everything obviously, but I mean I do play games, I do watch movies, and also some low level personal video editing.

Obviously I'd like to have 75hz refresh rate for games, especially games like Dota 2, but not at the expense of image quality.

Anyways these are the monitors:
    The 1ms Samsung one
    https://ddstore.mk/products/Monitor...ing-1ms-Full-HD-1920x1080-VGA-HDMI/pid/906067

The 75hz refresh rate LG
    https://ddstore.mk/products/Monitor-24"-LG-24M38D-B-LED-1920-x-1080-5ms-VGA-DVI/pid/895963

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - deciding monitor Forum Date
    Deciding on a new monitor... Displays May 25, 2017
    Help me decide between two 4K monitors Displays Feb 16, 2017
    Which Gaming Monitor Should I Buy? Having Trouble Deciding Displays Jul 14, 2016
    Which Monitors Should I Buy? Please Help Me Decide Displays Jun 21, 2016
    Can't decide between these two monitors Displays Dec 6, 2015

3. richaron

richaron Golden Member

The marketed response times are almost useless. Plus 60Hz is a frame every ~17ms, 75Hz being ~13ms, so even if you did believe their marketing nonsense they are both much under the refresh interval.

60 vs 75Hz however is a very real and noticeable difference. Since they are both the same type of panel of similar tier/generation I'd lean towards the faster one. Only problem is the LG doesn't have HDMI (DVI is a dead standard), so it could be useless in the future. Only you know your exact usage and requirements, and other things like VESA mounts (LG only?) may also influence your choice.

4. Guru

Guru Member

Yeah the DVI-D and d-sub standards are the downside, but hdmi isn't the best either, displayport is the best option, but a lot of cheaper monitors don't seem to have the latest input ports, idk if its because they have to pay a fee to use them or how much they increase the cost, but only the newer ones and a lot more expensive ones seem to have good input ports like dp 1.3 and hdmi 2.0b or newer.

5. whm1974

whm1974 Platinum Member

I went though the same deal when I was display shopping for a new build back in mid 2013. Now I see that this is still an issue in late 2017.:mad:

Hopefully we won't see these ports even on cheap TVs in a few more years.

6. jkauff

jkauff Senior member

Look at the Samsung detailed specs for refresh rate range. You don't mention what GPU you're using, but many 60Hz monitors can be overclocked to 75Hz over HDMI using custom resolutions on the GPU (for Nvidia, for example, you use Nvidia Control Panel). The standalone utility program CRU can also do the job.