help connect wireless printer to desktop

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
i got a wireless printer. i got a desktop and a laptop.

someone install it to the laptoptop. now i want the printer to work for the desktop too as the printer is wireless.

i tried to print something but the printer list didnt show the wireless printer. i let it search for the printer but it cannot find. i went to the laptop and check network and it says sharing but why it didnt work on my desktop?

the wieles sprinter doe snot show on my desktop.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Have you installed the printer drivers on the desktop? With my wireless printer that I have connected to both my laptop and desktop, when I installed the drivers it would go through a wireless connection wizard that helps you set it up through your network.

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
yeah i totally forgot to put on the driver cd.

now i got my hands on the cd driver. follow the screen..... when searching for the printer in network..... it says cannot find. it says to press a button on the printer and the lcd should tell the address in the lcd and put that address on the box and click search.... still cant find.

is there something im missing? oh yeah it says plug in the usb from the printer to the desktop temperary but i did not cause the printer is on the other room. i assume is unesscessary. is it right? or this is why it dont work?

i also go through everything in the laptop and it allows everything.

note the printer connects fine on the laptop but not the desktop.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Asuming that you have a Wireless Router, the printer has to be configured connecting to the Wireless Router.

Then you install the software of the printer on each computer and they can connect to the Printer that will act as a network Printer.

:cool:

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
Asuming that you have a Wireless Router, the printer has to be configured connecting to the Wireless Router.

Then you install the software of the printer on each computer and they can connect to the Printer that will act as a network Printer.

what? router must be wireless? oh my that must be it cause my router wasnt configured as wireless. it is using as wired via ethernet line. i mean it can be wireless but im using as wired.

but..... what explains the laptop can go to the internet wirelessly through the router? if the router is not configured wireless then how come the laptop can connect to it?

i dont get it. oh wait i remembered i ebable wireless option through the router setting after got the laptop. so yeah the router is wireless.

what can i do now? anyway thinking to swapping printer. maybe i ask more when i get new printer.

also what did you mean by printer has to be configured connecting to the Wireless Router

how do i do that? is the printer already connected to the wireless router as the laptop can print something out? or just cause it can print doesnt mean the printer is connect to the router?

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Wireless can be configured in one of two Mode.

1. Infra struture - The regular Connection betwenn Wireless Client (computer) to Wireless Access Point (Wireless Router).

2. Ad-Hoc - A connection that allows two computer to connect directly from one to the other.

Printer's Wireless card is a client Wireless, thus it connects with a Computer in Ad-Hoc mode.

I do not know how currently you system is configured.

1. Make sure that that the printer is connected via Wireless to the Router and laptop indeed use this configuration.

2. Install the printer software on the desktop and configure it as a Network printer.

Make sure that the computer's firewall has an exception to allow a connection to a printer.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Or you can simply buy a $10.00 Usb Devise to make your desktop into a wireless capable devise exactly like your laptop.

There is always many ways to skin a cat.