Help! Computer won't turn on after rebuild.. :(

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
After reading the "cable management " thread i decided to rewire my system (one in the sig), routing many of the main lines to the back of the case. Here is the big issue, i did NOT turn off the PSU (I/O button). I tuned off the computer, detached the power cable from the computer, leaving it attached to the surge protector. Rewired (wearing an anti-static wrist band) and reattached the plugged in power cable to the PSU while in the "I" (on) position. Now, nothing happens at all when i press the power button. None of the wires are severely bent, nothing seemed to have gotten pulled out. And yes, i reattached BOTH of the mobo power cables.

Here are my questions:

Is reattching the power cable like i did likely the casue of this? What did i do? Fry the mobo? Everything?

To rule out the case wiring, can i somehow directly wire the to power switch pins together, or is that not good to do?

What elese could it be? Would clearing the CMOS help with the mobo jumpers? I worked carefully and really the only thing i did was change he path of some wiring.

BTW, the Power LED has blinked, i believe when i press the power button, but not always. I have an old dell to play around with, will test my PSU with that system to see if its the PSU if there is not another fix.

Please Help :(
-Chris

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Try powering the system sans switch, i.e. with a screwdriver.

When I built my first computer, I must have flipped the damn switch 50 times before it booted.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Make sure the video card, memory and CPU are seated properly. And if you unplugged any of the front panel wiring connections, make sure you plugged them back correctly.
.bh.

Edward Lee

Dec 11, 2004
Yea, I clean up my computer too after I read the thread... Lol

You shoulde make sure all your cables are connected right. Chances are you didn't burn anything out if you don't smell something or hear a pop while put the system back together.

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
UPDATE: With the PSU plugged into my system, i hooked up the 20pin mobo plug to an old dell mobo (it also requires a 6pin connector, but it wouldn't reach) So i plugged it in to just the mobo 20pin and turned on the PSU, received a soft, high-pitched reverberating sound from the PSU. ??? Dell didn't turn on, neither did PSU. Reconnected it to the main system, still nothing. I guess it is the power supply. I now try to hook up the dell power supply the my system, hopefully i'll get something, but it is probably not powerful enough to run it stable. Does this sound like a faulty PSU? I wonder if it would hve happened even without moving cables, probably becasue i didn't do much to it.

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
Tried to hook the enermax up to the Dell again, using both the 20 pin and 6pin, nothing again. PSU whined again, followed by a spooling down noise upon power down. Also a slight clicking. Should it return to directon (purchased about 10 days ago) or call enermax? Do you think i damaged my system?

mauiblue

Aug 8, 2004
This is a troubleshooting guide I got from PC Power & Cooling:

Power Supply troubleshooting guide

If you tried it already, sorry for the post.

Good luck. I am looking forwarding in trying my hand in "cable management" as soon as I get my new PC Power & Cooling PSU. I hope I won't have any issues when I get it all sorted out.

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
thansks, i followed the suggestion but againg nothing happened must be the PSU. SHould i return to directon or enermax?