Help choosing Video Camera for 8 yr old Daughter

Goaty

Jun 5, 2000
Hi,

I would like to get my daughter a video camera for Christmas. She is only 8 but has a real interest in making movies. I know absolutely nothing about video cameras (we don't even own one) so I thought I would go where I always go when I need help: Anandtech forums :D

I don't want to get her a toy, I want to get her a real video camera with the following characteristics:

- I am not thinking digital, she would have more fun popping her tape into the VCR than editing on a computer. But I am not inflexible on this if anybody thinks I am making a big mistake.

- $300 or so, not carved in stone, just a ballpark figure for what I hope to spend

- Durability & ease of use. I don't want a lot of buttons/features that will make it harder for her. Just basic functionality with nice big buttons.

Anybody have suggestions for a good, relatively cheap, basic entry-level video camera (not a toy!) for kids?

Remember I know nothing about video cameras so if my criteria is screwed up please let me know!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
I'm not sure which model would be the best for your purposes, but I would look into getting a VHS-C camcorder.
She's small and the lighter weight and size of a VHS-C would be better, and then you can also pop the tape into a VHS machine with an adapter tape (VHS-C fits right inside the VHS adapter).

Any brand should do cause she just wants to have fun with it. Look in your price range. You can get a Panasonic PV-L352 for around $230-300, and it has some nice features to grow on.

Goaty

Jun 5, 2000
Thanks!

This is just the kind of input that I am looking for. That Panasonic model looks pretty good and is within my price range.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Just don't get a HUGE camcorder that uses VHS tapes. That's what our dad had and I think he was the only one strong enough to carry it. I do know if you get her a Hi-8 camcorder they are lightweight small and durable. There's also an adapter to use the Hi-8 tapes in your VHS player.

Goaty

Jun 5, 2000
Should I be looking at VHS-C or Hi8 for the format?

They both have "converters" available to play the tape in a VHS VCR right?

Any clear advantages/disadvantages to either format?

For accessories, I will need:

- carrying case
- rechargeable battery
- possibly a "VHS converter"
- what are the memory cards for? digital cameras only?

Yes, I really am ignorant on this subject :eek:

Thanks for all of the help, I do appreciate it!

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Yes, memory cards are for the digital still pictures. I would say that HI8 is probably better quality, but it just depends on what the features are like too, and the price. Either should be good for your purposes. I would pick a couple of each, HI8 and VHS-C and then compare them.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
VHS-C. You can pop it in an adapter and play it in the VCR. You can not do that with any 8mm including Hi8!

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
the web's an excellent source of information (... and mis-information too!)

pls note that you CANNOT play 8mm or Hi-8 tapes in a home VHS system - no such adapter exists.
the 8mm and hi-8 signals are simply not compatible with the VHS format

the VHS-C tapes are recorded in the same format as regular VHS... the cassette shell is smaller, and hence an adapter works for that ...

good luck

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
heheh are you going to put any of her 'films' on the Internet?

im sure some of us would like to see the work of your daughter, filmmaking prodigy!