Help Choosing Between These Mobos

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Hey guys.,

I've been itchin to upgrade my mobo and cpu and been researching these Asus and Gigabyte models:\
Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813145036 Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145090 Asus Prime Z390-A https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE858U73539 Asus ROG STRIX Z390 Gaming Ehttps://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119151

I'm gonna be getting the Intel i7 8700K or 9700K . I've been leaning towards one of the Asus but I'd love to hear your opinions of Gigabyte. I definitely wanna stay under $300 and don't mind spending around $200 :) But I'm just curious if the models that are like $80 more like the Asus Maximus Hero XI are worth it or not. Also, I do plan on overclocking.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Unless you have specific features you're looking for those are all good choices. I have the gigabyte z370 G7 and like it a lot. However if you're not familiar with their bios setup it can be a bit confusing. Great VRM quality is the main reason I bought it. Planned to do a max OC. I also like gigabyte's warranty service over Asus.

I think you can't go wrong in the 200 range, almost all of those boards are good.

Reactions: killster1

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
The Z390 Aorus Pro and Aorus Elite boards are the cheapest Gigabyte boards with a very good VRM.

Reactions: killster1

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
I second Furious_Styles, you really cannot go wrong in that price range. Gigabyte will offer the most competent VRM's so in theory the best overclocking. But how much more of an OC you get due to the better VRM's is completely moot. For example, I run a (9900K @5 GHz AVX Offset of 1) on an Asus Maximus Hero X Z370 board, auto voltage is 1.35 range, and I never hit above 83C or so. Maybe if I had a Gigabyte Z390 board, I could hit 5.1 GHz, but how significant is 100 MHz in the real world?

So if I were you, I would just leverage whats most important (Support vs. BIOS layout vs. Brand familiarity vs. VRM quality vs. Aesthetics) Its really just about how you prioritize.

Reactions: Furious_Styles

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
I second Furious_Styles, you really cannot go wrong in that price range. Gigabyte will offer the most competent VRM's so in theory the best overclocking. But how much more of an OC you get due to the better VRM's is completely moot. For example, I run a (9900K @5 GHz AVX Offset of 1) on an Asus Maximus Hero X Z370 board, auto voltage is 1.35 range, and I never hit above 83C or so. Maybe if I had a Gigabyte Z390 board, I could hit 5.1 GHz, but how significant is 100 MHz in the real world?

So if I were you, I would just leverage whats most important (Support vs. BIOS layout vs. Brand familiarity vs. VRM quality vs. Aesthetics) Its really just about how you prioritize.

OK, I get what you guys are sayin. How do you know which of these models has good VRM? Is there something specific you look for when reading the specs?

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
OP, are you only considering the boards you listed in your OP? If not, I'd personally take a good look at this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157857

I own the Z270 Taichi, and it's been my favorite board I've ever owned based on features, build quality, and reliability.

Thanks for the link! I noticed ASRock's name mentioned in every best motherboard review for 2019, This model definitely looks cool with the gears theme. I've never owned any of their products and I usually stick with the familiar brands like Asus. But not to say that I wouldn't try something different if its worth it. I'll check this one out too!

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for the link! I noticed ASRock's name mentioned in every best motherboard review for 2019, This model definitely looks cool with the gears theme. I've never owned any of their products and I usually stick with the familiar brands like Asus. But not to say that I wouldn't try something different if its worth it. I'll check this one out too!

@Markfw owns quite a few X399 Taichi boards for his Threadripper builds, and he is a fan of them as well.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@Markfw owns quite a few X399 Taichi boards for his Threadripper builds, and he is a fan of them as well.
Yes, I think I have 4 X399 Taichi boards, might be 5. I love everything EXCEPT, no NVME heatsinks, but thats a $9.29 extra. I am sure the next round they will include those.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019

Agreed. 99% of the time if you are getting a higher tier mobo the CPU OC is limited by the chip itself and not VRMs.

Another reason I went gigabyte is if you accidentally bend some pins they will repair it for $30 + shipping one way. Asus won't they will just make you replace the entire board.

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Thanks a lot for all the input guys. Definitely helped a lot! One last question. I was planning on getting the Intel i7 8700K. Would there be a noticeable performance gain if I got the i9 9900K? From what I read, most people seem to be overclocking the 8700 to 5ghz on average and 5.2 with the i9. I realize that's only about 200mhz of difference on paper but am I missing anything else?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Another reason I went gigabyte is if you accidentally bend some pins they will repair it for $30 + shipping one way. Asus won't they will just make you replace the entire board.
Good to know, thanks! I just bought a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (AM4) board myself, which doesn't use LGA, but still good to know, in case I go back to Intel CPUs at some point in the future.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Good to know, thanks! I just bought a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (AM4) board myself, which doesn't use LGA, but still good to know, in case I go back to Intel CPUs at some point in the future.

Yeah it's nice. Though I can't guarantee they will continue to do it. You'll have to rely on repair techs like me otherwise :)