Help choosing a graphic cards

Yin Yang

Mar 20, 2013
Hi Guys !

I posted a thread relating to help me build a computer rig dedicated to programming, graphics, compiling, multitasking, video, etc. This will not be a gaming rig... very very little gaming will be done with it. With that said, I got all my parts ready and these are the following:

Processor: i7-3930k
Processor Cooler: H100
Mobo: Asus P9X79 Deluxe or the Asus Sabertooth X79
Harddrive: 2 TB WD Caviar Black
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Case: CM Storm Stryker
Optical Drive: Asus BW-1281ST
PSU - 1050 Corsair HX

The only thing I need is a graphics card. Most of the people here helped by say go with the GTX 670, 680 or the AMD 7970, 7870. I don't really know which one to choose. Please help me with this issue. Thanks !!!

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Lordy, with that high quality of a rig, and your needs including compiling etc, this crys out for a TITAN!!!!!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Eh, what does multitasking have to do with a titan ?
In short, nothing.

Once the OP says what kind of programs they are actually going to run, then we can make a more informed recommendation.

While titan is the new thing out, it isn't the best thing for everything.

Yin Yang

Mar 20, 2013
In short, nothing.

Once the OP says what kind of programs they are actually going to run, then we can make a more informed recommendation.

I will be using Adobe programs such as Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, may be doing maya 3d :) Also will be using macro programming and excel, visual programming, etc :)

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
I will be using Adobe programs such as Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, may be doing maya 3d :) Also will be using macro programming and excel, visual programming, etc :)

You dont need much video processing for any of that shit....lol

Just sayin.... Some mid range video card would be plenty....if not overkill.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Ahh, I see. So far, yeah, you don't need or want a high end card, it would be a waste of $$$.

What monitor(s) are you going to use, and does it have display ports, HDMI, or DVI ?
What would make most sense to me would be, get two good monitors, (if you don't have them already--very useful for programming and the other programs you mentioned) and a mid range video card with at least 2GB of VRAM (either AMD or nvidia), and you can't really go wrong.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
A freaking on-board video card on the mobo would be plenty to handle all of those apps probably, though that wouldnt be the route id take.

Yin Yang

Mar 20, 2013
Ahh, I see. So far, yeah, you don't need or want a high end card, it would be a waste of $$$.

What monitor(s) are you going to use, and does it have display ports, HDMI, or DVI ?
What would make most sense to me would be, get two good monitors, (if you don't have them already--very useful for programming and the other programs you mentioned) and a mid range video card with at least 2GB of VRAM (either AMD or nvidia), and you can't really go wrong.

Elixer, I am probably going to get an asus or dell monitor 2550 x 1400... 27 inch. which graphic card would you recommend ? I realy don't know that much about graphic cards :(

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You would not want to use the integrated Intel card for photoshop and illustrator as its support is really poor.

But just about any current AMD or nVidia card will do well though. Adobe uses OpenGL for most of their offloading. So even a lower end card like an HD7750 would be fine for that stuff.

If you plan on doing 3D modelling, then a higher end card would do better.

Yin Yang

Mar 20, 2013
I decided to go with the EVGA GTX 680 :) But... I have no idea what is the difference between these three models:

- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked

The only difference that I see is in the speed of MHz... and VRAM. But other than that there is no big difference between them. Which one should I choose ?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
AMD 7850 or nvidia 650 TI or 660 would seem to be logical for your situation, and you got room to play games if you ever want to, or do more advanced 3D work.
I don't have a real preference, just make a note to get a 2GB VRAM version of whichever card you pick.

Yin Yang

Mar 20, 2013
amd 7850 or nvidia 650 ti or 660 would seem to be logical for your situation, and you got room to play games if you ever want to, or do more advanced 3d work.
I don't have a real preference, just make a note to get a 2gb vram version of whichever card you pick.

2gb vram ? Why ?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
In short, nothing.

Where is your sense of humor buddy :D

2GB of vram is the norm now. No sense of going with less or more for the applications you will be using.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
2gb vram ? Why ?

2GB has many advantages, lots of textures can be stored on the card itself, instead of system RAM, and since your running 2550 x 1400 x 32, I tend to think you want some breathing room, in case you do get another monitor of the same size.

ASK THE COMMUNITY