HELP! can't use resolution above 1280x1024 ...

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
it used to be fine on my radeon with win98se... upgraded to xp a couple hours ago... have all the latest drivers etc (just spend the last couple hours doin that) and my desktop is huge... i have to put the mouse on the edge of the screen and scroll further in all directions to be able to see the whole thing.

before 1600x1200 worked fine and now i can't get past 1280x1024 without having this happen... its as if the desktop itself gets bigger but the monitor doesn't adjust to it, so the desktop area is larger than the monitor area, if you get what i'm trying to say.

i suppose i could use the monitor's OSD to correct this but i wanna know if there's a software solution before i tamper with my monitor's settings... thx! :)

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
That's odd. It seems like it's treating your monitor like my TV gets treated under nview. Do you have dual display or any form of nview going in XP that you didn't in 98SE? I'm not really sure what'd cause that since you say latest drivers (I assume that's monitor & vidcard at the very least). What videocard? I don't really know the solution tho :(

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
ah, weird ;) when I saw the similarities (nview does higher res on TVs and scrolls as such) I figured you had an Nvidia board. That said, perhaps you should try an older version of the drivers and see if you can correct the problem, and/or check out the Omega drivers (not by ATI) ... worth a shot at least, right? Beyond this I cannot say, as I do not have an ATI board right now. 98SE and XP drivers differ significantly, so older more stable drivers, or the Omegas, may remedy this.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: onelin0
ah, weird ;) when I saw the similarities (nview does higher res on TVs and scrolls as such) I figured you had an Nvidia board. That said, perhaps you should try an older version of the drivers and see if you can correct the problem, and/or check out the Omega drivers (not by ATI) ... worth a shot at least, right? Beyond this I cannot say, as I do not have an ATI board right now. 98SE and XP drivers differ significantly, so older more stable drivers, or the Omegas, may remedy this.

true... but i dont want omega's performance dents... dont care boot quality... just speed :D

neways thx for the help dude ill stick with 1280xxxx for now... :)

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Set your resolution up to 1600 X 1200, then go to the "displays" tab of the advanced display properties and disable then re-enable the tv display....that should do the trick.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: rbV5
Set your resolution up to 1600 X 1200, then go to the "displays" tab of the advanced display properties and disable then re-enable the tv display....that should do the trick.

if this works you are officially my daddy!! :D :D