Help! Can't get my Duron to Post

Bug_razer

Nov 23, 1999
Hello... I just purchased a new Duron 700 and an Abit KT7a, had a friend with a steady
hand close the L1 bridges with a conductive pen...then I tried to boot her up. No luck, all
I get are four error beeps and then it shuts off. I have reinserted the chip many times
and still the same results. The L1 bridges are not shorting across diagonally. Any ideas
what might cause the problem?? Thanks

chexi

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2000
I know this seems obvious, but I'll ask anyway. Did you test it before connecting the bridges? If not, then the only real way to do this is to test the chip on another board, and the board with another chip. That way you can isolate the problem. Hope it's the board because you might run into problems getting an rma for an overclocked chip. I had to return an MSI board that wouldn't post, and I had to isolate the problem the way I described.

Compellor

Oct 1, 2000
You may need to clear the CMOS jumper on the motherboard. For the most comprehensive help guide on the ABIT KT7 series motherboards, go here:

ABIT KT7 FAQ

I highly recommend it.

ottawanker

Nov 21, 2000
This is ripped directly from the FAQ.

Q. Nothing happens when I try to boot, or only fans start. What's wrong?

A. If you have BIOS version WW or WZb00, and you get four beeps (some people describe it as more of a siren) and then the machine shuts down, this is because these versions of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on FAN1 header. Make sure you attach a fan to this header! In some cases a loose connection can also cause this - try spreading the pins a little. BIOS WZb01 and later have this functionality disabled by default, and it can be enabled in the BIOS.

Bug_razer

Nov 23, 1999
Yes! It posts and oc'd like I knew it would. I went home last night, took the manual out again and read page 2-9....connect cpu fan to header 1 or 2. Well, you folks are sharper than I am and knew that Abit changed the bios and will only allow connecting to header #1. So a combination of poor eye-sight, ignorance, and reading the manual was my problem....Thanks to all who helped.