Help! Can't change GPU fan speeds.

faseman

May 8, 2009
I can't quite work out why my GPU's (4870) fan won't change speed. I've tried multiple programs and none of them work. I can change the slider/fan speed values and they save, but it does nothing to the actual fan speed. It's currently stuck on an extremely loud value (CCC doesn't work, ATI tray tools, and also a couple of others I can't quite remember). This has also been done over multiple OS installs and drivers.

GPU: Gigabyte GV-R487D5-1GD
MoBo: Foxconn A7DA

I should also add that I can't change CPU fan speed through SpeedFan. Might there be something wrong with my motherboard?

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Well, you certainly took your time to make your first post!

Some gpus just don't allow for fan-speed modification. I had to flash the BIOS for my 2900 Pro in order to adjust the fan values. I used RBE to backup my original BIOS and then edit it (be sure to leave the original backup untouched!). The tutorial from that link lists several methods for flashing the BIOS.

I had an nvidia 9500 GT that would run the fan at 100% all the time. The card ran so cool that I used a molex-to-3-pin connector and 7-volted the fan (tutorial), which worked well. I doubt that would provide sufficient cooling for a 4870, but it's another option. Just be sure to monitor your temps with any fan changes you make.

Edit: As a disclaimer, flashing the BIOS can brick your card. I've done it 10+ times with no problems, but I wanted to make sure to mention that just in case.