Help! Can I stop Windows from installing the creators update?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Windows 10 has scheduled to install that creators update tomorrow but I don't want that update. Is there still a way to stop Windows from installing it? I have already postponed the install as far as I could but tomorrow is the final day I could choose so how can I stop this update from installing on my pc?

By the way, how big is that creators update download?

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Just dump it in the river, pond or anything that moves away from your home.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
But seriously.. can i stop this upgrade so i don't have to install it and reverse to my current version which is a waste of time.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
But seriously.. can i stop this upgrade so i don't have to install it and reverse to my current version which is a waste of time.
Tbh Windows pushes upgrades far too aggressively, the only way I;ve found to manage them (somewhat) with win10 is to disable BITS & windows update service. I haven;t seen deferred upgrades or anything similar work consistently for win10, none of the fixes work long term.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Your Windows installation would expire if you did not install the CU. Why don't you want to install it? It's a nice update.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Your Windows installation would expire if you did not install the CU. Why don't you want to install it? It's a nice update.
I don't like for example how it changes the start menu. I still have the original start menu which W10 already changed once but I was able to revert.

How big is this update by the way? How long does it take to install so i know if i can go drink some coffee.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Length of install depends on the system. Seems about the same as the Anniversary Update. Pretty sure all the major start menu mods have been updated for the CU (StatIsBack, etc). You have the option to revert when it's done, but at this point I don't know how much time that would buy you.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Pretty sure all the major start menu mods have been updated for the CU (StatIsBack, etc).
So I installed CU so which app can i use to change the start menu back to the original W10 start menu. Any free apps that can do this or maybe a registry edit? Thanks in advance.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Agree with Classic Shell ... very good program ... I also run Ultimate Windows Tweaker and Winaero Tweaker .. Between them I have it looking almost like my old XP installation (just a couple of colors are slightly off and icon fonts not quite the same)

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Agree with Classic Shell ... very good program ... I also run Ultimate Windows Tweaker and Winaero Tweaker .. Between them I have it looking almost like my old XP installation (just a couple of colors are slightly off and icon fonts not quite the same)
Classic Shell doesn't seem to allow me to go back to the original windows 10 start menu, only older ones. Let me explain with pictures what I want precisely:

1. In original W10 start menu, next to the system icons in the left corner you had their description like "file explorer", "settings", and so on. Also, the "most used" list was placed just above that which was perfect, see pic: http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclu...6/customize-start-menu-windows-10-600x440.png

2. In CU however the labels are removed so just the system icons.. see here (red circled): http://home.bt.com/images/windows-10-preview-start-menu-2-after-136405837770602601

How can I get the start menu back like in point 1?

Is it still somewhere in windows so this can be done with a registry edit? Or another start menu app that can actually do this? Hope this explains it better.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't like for example how it changes the start menu. I still have the original start menu which W10 already changed once but I was able to revert.

How big is this update by the way? How long does it take to install so i know if i can go drink some coffee.

on my laptop it took about 10 hours.