Help building $2000 Adobe CS6 rig w/o monitor

jdb264c

Oct 16, 2012
Hi, I would love the communities thoughts about this build:
I'm in the process of building a new computer for my girlfriends job, with the following principles:

1. She will use it for Adobe Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6 and Illustrator CS6.
2. She will NOT use it for video rendering.
3. She will NOT use for gaming.
4. Her only knowledge about hardware is that "Macbooks look good" so I'm thinking that it has to be really silent and look rather distinguished (i.e. no flashing lights etc).
5. The budget is rather flexible would the absolute maximum would be $2000.

She's already got an Samsung 27" SyncMaster SB970D as a monitor so there's no need for a new one.

I find the absolute hardest part being deciding between AMD/Intel on the CPU part, and AMD/nVidia on the graphics part. It seems, correct me if I'm wrong, that AMD uses OpenGL/CL in a way that for the moment would be an advantage over nVidia but I'm even less certain when it comes to the CPU. Advice appreciated!

So here's my thought and suggestions:

Case:
Fractal Design Define R4 :: $135

PSU:
Seasonic x850 850W :: $290

Fans:
Something from Fractal Design or Scythe. As a CPU fan maybe the Noctua NH-U9DX for $96

System HD
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128 128GB :: $128

Scratchdisk for Adobe programs:
Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC064 64GB :: $92 (Or maybe switch the system and the scratch disk)

General HD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 64MB 2TB :: $223

CPU:
AMD FX-Series FX-8150 3,6GHz Socket AM3+ :: $230

Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z :: $323

Graphics card:
Some Radeon 7970, not quite sure yet, possibly ASUS. :: Approx $540

RAM:
G.Skill TridentX DDR3 PC19200/2400MHz CL10 2x8GB

So, what should I change? Gladly anticipating the verdict from the forum!

Regards
Johan

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Here's a rough build

i7 3770k
Z77
16gb 1600mhz 2x8
64gb scratch
128gb programs
1tb file
500watt PSU

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
1. She will use it for Adobe Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6 and Illustrator CS6.
2. She will NOT use it for video rendering.
3. She will NOT use for gaming.
4. Her only knowledge abou

How much data does she keep on the system at any one time?
What about backing up the data, local and offsite?
What about a calibration device for her monitor?

Just some extra things to think about if you haven't budgeted for them separately. And unless you can guarantee your support services 24/7 it would probably be wise to look at a Dell or similar. At the very least, if she is busy enough, you may want to budget for a light duty back up system in case the main computer goes down.

-KeithP

jdb264c

Oct 16, 2012
How much data does she keep on the system at any one time?
What about backing up the data, local and offsite?
What about a calibration device for her monitor?

Just some extra things to think about if you haven't budgeted for them separately. And unless you can guarantee your support services 24/7 it would probably be wise to look at a Dell or similar. At the very least, if she is busy enough, you may want to budget for a light duty back up system in case the main computer goes down.

-KeithP

Great points, thank you!
The amount of data isn't that great at the moment but she will soon start putting in loads of raw files so I'm guessing she'll need to expand the HDs within half a year.
She's got a calibration device already but thanks, a very valid point!

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Don't forget to add about $140 Windows 7 OEM and $700 for Adobe CS6 or else the build won't be doing anything at all.

So computer parts are $2057+software $840 = $2897. ;)

jdb264c

Oct 16, 2012
Don't forget to add about $140 Windows 7 OEM and $700 for Adobe CS6 or else the build won't be doing anything at all.

So computer parts are $2057+software $840 = $2897. ;)

Hahaha, good points!! Luckily, her boss hook her up with the Creative Cloud!

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If that machine is going to be used for serious work, I would take a good long look at the Xeon E3-12xxv2 series. These are Intels LGA-1155 workstation CPUs, they have all the features of the i7 series at cheaper prices...

As you can properly work out, I would not use a regular desktop CPU for this kind of serious work. Especially when down-time can cost on the bottom line...

The only problem is that you need a main board that supports one, like this one;

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8C_WS/

my 2c

jdb264c

Oct 16, 2012
If that machine is going to be used for serious work, I would take a good long look at the Xeon E3-12xxv2 series. These are Intels LGA-1155 workstation CPUs, they have all the features of the i7 series at cheaper prices...

As you can properly work out, I would not use a regular desktop CPU for this kind of serious work. Especially when down-time can cost on the bottom line...

The only problem is that you need a main board that supports one, like this one;

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8C_WS/

my 2c
Very interesting indeed! Thank you for that, I had never heard of this but will look into it immediately.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Where are you buying your parts? Those numbers look expensive.

Also, do you have any particular reasoning behind your choices? The PSU and motherboard are unnecessarily expensive by a factor of 2-3.

jdb264c

Oct 16, 2012
Where are you buying your parts? Those numbers look expensive.

Also, do you have any particular reasoning behind your choices? The PSU and motherboard are unnecessarily expensive by a factor of 2-3.

They will be bought in Sweden, and that can unfortunately not be changed.

Yes, I've received some massive responses over at Tomshardware mentioning the same thing, that the PSU and MB is overkill, so I will change these. Thanks for answering!

jdb264c

Oct 16, 2012
For CPU you need to go Intel here:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...-processor-launch-review-cpu-performance.html

PS (don't know about the other software) doesn't need a powerful card, she can do with the iGPU.

It looks from the specs of the monitor that it supports 10bit color. If this is important THEN she'll need a pro graphic card with 10bit support. AMD firepro or nvidia quadro.

Great link, it helped a lot convincing me to go Intel!
Yeah, original specs said 10bits but it's actually "just" 8.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hackitosh is a lot of work for a first time builder.

Maybe so, although the OP didn't specifically say as much, concerning previous build experience.
The same hardware used in the referenced link would still work well as a Windows-only machine. Adding a 2nd hard drive (or SSD) and installation of OSX could optionally be added at some future time.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Macbook Pro + DisplayPort cable? :awe:

But seriously, that is a viable option if she works in a Mac ecosystem (lots of photog's do) and/or wants to pick up and edit on the go.