Help: Botulism in old tomato sauce?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: nutxo
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Botulism only grows anaerobically, before you open it
you'll be fine, well, if you are sick, it isn't Botulism anyway

yeah, that's true.

you'd know if it were botulism by the bulging can.

and food poisoning doesn't usually set in until around 6 hours or so, post-ingestion

Unless it were molasses. From what I understand botulism can affect you a hell of a lot faster than 6 hours.
Does molasses make the botulism move slower b/c of how thick it is? :confused:

molasses makes cans bulge :retard;

If that's true, how come molasses stored in JARS doesn't explode? HUH?

Google is your friend. The pressure it takes to bulge a can is considerably less than it would take to make a jar explode.

No wonder your post count is so high. Do you frequently post without thinking or doing a search?

Yes, I do. I'm too busy with the real world to say "Wow. I wonder how many toothpicks it would take to build a bridge to the sun...let me Google." You, apparently, have lots of free time. Please continue to work out all of life's little mysteries for me. I appreciate it. Thanks!

LOL. I didnt need google. I already knew this as not many years ago it was common knowledge. The world is now being populated with tards that claim to be to busy to actually learn and instead spout sh*t.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
I honestly was going to; I was scared! But I guess I passed out. I haven't eaten a TV dinner since then.

How long were you sick for? Which food poisoning did you get?

Years ago I got Salmonella from Pizza Hut as determined by the CDC. I was deathly ill for 3 weeks where I laid on the couch. Only time I moved was to puke/sh!t my brains out.

I was ill for a total of three days. The first 24-some odd hours were spent passed out in bed and the bathroom floor. After that, I couldn't leave the house b/c I needed to be within running distance of the toilet. :eek:

I have no idea "which" food poisoning I got...I've had food poisoning many times. From fish, from chicken, from whatever...but I had never had anything like that before, or since, thank GOD.

Sounds like it was probably caused by a strain of Bacillus. Although, 3 days does sound lengthy to have been caused by Bacillus, but it is possible.

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
From Wiki. sweet sweet Wiki

Classic symptoms of food-borne botulism occur between 12-36 hours after consuming the botulinum toxin, but they can occur as early as 6 hours or as late as 10 days. Wound botulism has a longer incubation period, usually between 4-14 days. Symptoms of either form usually include dry mouth, difficulty swallowing, slurred speech, muscle weakness, double vision, vomiting, and sometimes diarrhea. These symptoms may progress to cause paralytic ileus with severe constipation, and eventually body paralysis. The respiratory muscles are affected as well, which may cause death due to respiratory failure. These are all symptoms of the muscle paralysis caused by the bacterial toxin. In all cases illness is caused by the toxin made by C. botulinum, not by the bacterium itself.