Help: Blue screen of death after adding 2nd video card

mizzles

Aug 10, 2006
Hello, I posted this in the gen category with almost no responses thought I would try it here

Dell and NVDIA support both unable to help here.... I have a new dell XPS system with plenty of memory and HD space. I have 2 monitors attached to a NVIDIA GeForce GF7600GT card in the PCI express slot, my goal is to add a 3rd monitor. I was told to do so I could add a 2nd video card into the PCI slot.

When I inserted the 2nd card (GF5500), on booting windows initially started normally, detected new hardware, and automatically installed the drivers and asked me to reboot. Upon rebooting after seeing the windows logo screen I got the blue screen telling me windows had been shut down to prevent damage to my computer. I had to do a system restore to the previous day in safe mode to get it to work normally.

Microsoft "crash analysis" states "A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem, we cannot determine the precise cause" I'm guessing it was caused by the driver for the new video card or some hardware incompatibility.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me here, I'm hesitant to put the card back in again.

Thanks

Miz

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I'd boot into safe mode and go to device mgr check to see the gf5500 is seen or recornized by window. Another thing you can do is switch to different pci slot if possible.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Go into safe mode and uninstall all graphics card drivers first. Then, reboot into regular mode and install the latest NVIDIA drivers and see if they can enumerate all of the available display adapters and load the driver for each.