HELP!!! Antivirus ??s, Xp 32bit, Vista 64bit, Compatability ?s HELP!

sparks5248

Dec 13, 2008
:confused:

Mobo: Biostar TA790GX A2+
Processor: AMD Phenom Quad Core 64

OK, so I just found out that the installation program's I have to put on my computer for work are not compatible with Vista 64.

I must have either XP or Vista 32 bit editions. Those are the only OSs that our Citrix & VPN are compatible with.

My questions are, is XP 32 compatible with a 64 bit Processor, I believe it is but am not entirely sure?

Also, This damn software I have to install uses McAfee & a Symantic Client that is such serious business that I cannot even remove it without a Password, or to entirely rewrite my current drive with Vista. I've checked the registry & no hint of a pass code key, nothing. The default in the program files does not work & it's slowing my computer down. I am going to have Tech support remove it because they will not tell me the pass code. SOOO I am going to add another HD & OS, but my question....

Can I run Norton with my Vista, & this McAfee Symantic S!&# on XP HD Only? IS this possible? I love my Norton on my vista, it's soo fast, I don't want this McAfee Symantic crap stuffing up the Personal part of my computer!

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Welcome to Anandtech:)

My questions are, is XP 32 compatible with a 64 bit Processor, I believe it is but am not entirely sure?
Yes, I used 32-bit Windows and Linux on an Athlon64 for years.

Can I run Norton with my Vista
Symantec has 64-bit versions of their software available. At my university, the 32-bit and 64-bit clients are separate (and they do not give us (students) the 64-bit version), but they do exist.

, I don't want this McAfee Symantic crap stuffing up the Personal part of my computer!
Symantec is the company that makes Norton and they are a competitor to McAfee.

sparks5248

Dec 13, 2008
I understand, "Symantic & McAfee" are whatever, however they are required on the XP i will run. It's an insurance writing program to gain access to a Nationwide Network, so Thanks you've answered all but one of my Questions.

Can I run 2 separate Antivirus Programs whith 2 OS??? Can I run Norton on the HD w/Vista & this other stuff on the HD with XP???????????/

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: sparks5248
I understand, "Symantic & McAfee" are whatever, however they are required on the XP i will run. It's an insurance writing program to gain access to a Nationwide Network, so Thanks you've answered all but one of my Questions.

Can I run 2 separate Antivirus Programs whith 2 OS??? Can I run Norton on the HD w/Vista & this other stuff on the HD with XP???????????/

yes

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001

Yep

Can I run Norton with my Vista, & this McAfee Symantic S!&# on XP HD Only

Yes. What exactly is the McAfee Symantec 'stuff'. We are competitors, are you trying to say your running software from both at the same time?

sparks5248

Dec 13, 2008
Thank you guys so much, I wanted to get that straight before I hit Newegg. I know it's confusing the Symantic McAfee stuff, it comes in a package to download a network capability, so I can access the Nationwide Insurance Network through the Internet. I don't know how they both run, but they are both in the package & must be installed to have acess to the Company Network. I will install those on the HD with XP. Confusing, I don't know. There is this weird Symantec Agent that as I said previously cannot be removed without a pass code & also McAfee software in the Package. I had to completely Un-install my Norton Package 09 to add this stuff & It's making my computer run very slowly... Anyways, thank for the help!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
You know, there are freeware programs like Avast that will do the same thing as Norton. No need to spend money. You can get freeware applications for just about anything when it comes to office-type applications.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: Tbirdkid
1 word.. avast.

I love avast!

Especially the avast! screensaver - scans your drives when your your machine is idle.

Heh! A lot of ppl don't even realize this avast! feature exists...