help about driver geforce2 mx 400

denden42

Jul 21, 2013
I'm in a vacation here at my aunties house and he asked me about their pc. their pc is toooo slow she said. here's the specs.

p4x400 8235 board
nvdia geforce2 mx 400
512 mb ram
pentium 4 @ 2.4 ghz
160 gb hdd

I answered it was slow because its running win7 better to downgrade to win xp I said.
so I did reformatting their pc.
after reformatting ang and I'm in windows xp loading screen. a BSOD appeard then I've checked the error code. its my gpu causing the error. now its time to upgrade the driver (2004 driver date) to a newer version and since there's no internet here I used the driver pack solution from my wd passport ecternal drive but after upgraging to a newer driver, still I can't log in on the desktop

Last edited:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I'd personally build them a PC out of my own pocket. Seriously.

Otherwise I'd do a net install of Debian stable but really, that is seriously old and slow tech.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Your cellphone is faster than that PC in every way possible. Just buy them a refurb $350.00 Dell, call it an anniversary present.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Your cellphone is faster than that PC in every way possible. Just buy them a refurb $350.00 Dell, call it an anniversary present.

this old PC is absurdly faster than any cell phone for Window x86 software, since it can run natively, and cell phones would need to emulate :D

going for XP is the right choice for this PC...
as for the BSOD, that's unexpected, Windows with its generic default driver should work fine (with limited res and such), so it sounds to me like more than just a driver problem?

can you use the PC on safe mode?
have you installed the VIA chipset drivers?
have you tried changing some video/AGP related setting on the bios?

and yes, make sure you are using some old forceware from 2006 or lower.

denden42

Jul 21, 2013
yeah I can boot in safe mode, actually I did the updating of graphics there.
the problem would be easy to solve if they have an internet connection :)
and downloading the grahics driver using my phone is a huge problem. here we just using an edge connection
can I ask u some favor.
can u download the driver for me and get only the driver inside that executable file.

"Are you getting BSOD without a GPU driver?"
--what do you mean sir?
I tried uninstalling the driver but windows said that it uses the said driver to boot up wibdows.

have you installed the VIA chipset drivers?
--all drivers have been installed but not uptodate

have you tried changing some video/AGP related setting
on the bios?
--yes I tried already

and yes, make sure you are using some old forceware
from 2006 or lower.
--no I'm not using the forceware, I find a hard time downloading that. 40mb file.

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I have install a more rescent driver, date 2011 and still cause a bsod.
Well, that would make sense. IMO, it's time to go somewhere with a decent internet connection, and start over, with drivers for the hardware. A driver supporting only 6 and newer series GPUs is of course not going to work with a 2-series GPU.

denden42

Jul 21, 2013
Well, that would make sense. IMO, it's time to go somewhere with a decent internet connection, and start over, with drivers for the hardware. A driver supporting only 6 and newer series GPUs is of course not going to work with a 2-series GPU.

thanks for helping
but I'm here at the mountain side..
try to see my location LOL
gregorio del pilar, ilocos sur
philippines..
no internet here. hehehehe

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
A fresh Windows XP install should not BSOD just because you did not install the graphics card driver from Nvidia.

I think that your problem is elsewhere.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
A fresh Windows XP install should not BSOD just because you did not install the graphics card driver from Nvidia.

A decent size lurker on this post! And this is what I agree with.

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
This is what happens when people dig into stuff they weren't supposed to touch in the first place.

denden42

Jul 21, 2013

no, it did happen
the board doesn't have a gpu.
the gpu I'm using is a dedicated gpu..
so that must be the problem and the bsod error told me so.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
no, it did happen
the board doesn't have a gpu.
the gpu I'm using is a dedicated gpu..
so that must be the problem and the bsod error told me so.

It could be the gpu that is failing since it came out way back around 2000. A driver from 2004 probably isn't the problem unless the last thing that happened before it crapped out was a new driver installation.

denden42

Jul 21, 2013
but it works in windows 7...
I want also to install linux but their printer driver will be the another problem

It could be the gpu that is failing since it came out way
back around 2000. A driver from 2004 probably isn't the
problem unless the last thing that happened before it
crapped out was a new driver installation.

--before the driver installation occured, I BSOD already. and after upgrade of driver it still Bsod
now I install a better driver, not the driver link above.
after installing that driver It can log in to windows but the driver still has an exlamation beside it and zero available driver memory.

Last edited: