HELP! 256 mb PNY 7900 GS PCIe- crazy colors and artifacts

Lslarry876

Oct 29, 2007
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this and help me. I bought a brand new sealed 256 mb PNY 7900 GS PCIe from a member here on the forums, and I installed it in my dell 8400. I first installed the drivers from the CD, and normal web surfing etc is fine. However, when I tried to run 3dmark06 I get crazy green and blue colors, and there are black dots when I try to watch any video clips. I tried using the latest nvidia drivers and also omega drivers, but I run into the same issue. Here are my system specs:

Dell 8400
P4 3.4
2 gigs ram

I don't think it's a power supply issue because it's a factory dell one with 350w and 18A on both 12v amps. I also plugged in the 6 pin connector with no issues. I was using an x800 se that came with my dell before and games played fine. I tried calling PNY support but the CS said there's no warranty because I don't have the original sales receipt.

Has anyone had the same problems? I'd really appreciate any help with this issue, I was originally going to get a 8800 gt but I figured the 7900 would be ok for the games I play now. Thanks in advance.

Larry

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Warranties are usually non-transferable, but the original seller might be willing to RMA it for you. Sounds like the card is toast to me.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
sounds like a defective card to me. maybe thats why he sold it.

Ask if he can send it in for a warranty replacement.