Help? 0% overclock with ASUS P8P67, 2500K and using Auto Overclock?

trueimage

Nov 14, 2000
A friend of mine just built a new system, Intel Core i5-2500K, ASUS P8P67 (base), and OCZ OCZ3G1333LV8GK Gold 8GB DDR3 2X4GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 CL 9-9-9-20
1.65V Dual Channel Memory Kit. He is using the stock cooler. Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, all windows updates done. Ran the Intel chipset auto updater tool.

The ASUS AI Suite II is the latest version as of yesterday (1/17/2011) and using the latest stable BIOS.

Following the instructions, he reset the BIOS to Optimized Defaults, booted into Windows, and click on the "FAST" option for EZ Overclock / Auto Tune. Below is what happens. If he chooses "Extreme", after it shows a similar image to the first one below, it starts running tests and then BSOD. The system reboots and tries to continue and just sits there doing nothing. When you click Stop it says Overclock successful haha.

ANY help at all would be great since he is on the other side of the country and I don't have a SB system. Thanks.

FzKM2.jpg

DRW7G.jpg

oQ93L.jpg

c9Yr2.jpg

UG0Jy.jpg

7czc6.jpg

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
why not just overclock it like everyone else and just use the multiplier, then run your own stress tests? the utility is probably trying to do something with the BCLK or something stupid, or not setting the voltages right.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
How about putting it under load and giving another screencapture?

trueimage

Nov 14, 2000
why not just overclock it like everyone else and just use the multiplier, then run your own stress tests? the utility is probably trying to do something with the BCLK or something stupid, or not setting the voltages right.

Well, he is a "noob" and I thought this was a perfect way for him to do it himself. Many people have had it work just fine and there is a newegg/asus video showing just how easy it is.

How about putting it under load and giving another screencapture?

I'll walk him through that after work and post the cpu-z shots.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Asus UI-based utilities for just about anything are completely useless in my experience. DO NOT use a UI-based utility for BIOS updates. Evidently, Asus' UI-based OCing software isn't any better. Geez. Who knew?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Well, he is a "noob" and I thought this was a perfect way for him to do it himself. Many people have had it work just fine and there is a newegg/asus video showing just how easy it is.

I'll walk him through that after work and post the cpu-z shots.

With sandy bridge even a noob can easily OC via the bios. You only need to adjust VCore and multi and you're set. Intel warns against vcore higher than 1.35v, with OCers usually stopping at about 1.38v