Helo with new nVidia

trigun500

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2006
I am getting an nVidia GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCI-E x16 Video Card for my HP Pavillion. I was just wondering will my PSU beable to handle that card? Ido have a 600w PSU laying around but I never put in a PSU before...

Also the card that I had in my HP was an ATIx800pro (ocing). Do i need to uninstall the ATI drivers then install the nVidia drivers? What are the best drivers for Ocing nVidias?

Finally, what would be the best cooler I could put on the card?

Thanks for any hel

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: trigun500
I am getting an nVidia GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCI-E x16 Video Card for my HP Pavillion. I was just wondering will my PSU beable to handle that card? Ido have a 600w PSU laying around but I never put in a PSU before...

Also the card that I had in my HP was an ATIx800pro (ocing). Do i need to uninstall the ATI drivers then install the nVidia drivers? What are the best drivers for Ocing nVidias?

Finally, what would be the best cooler I could put on the card?

Thanks for any hel

the only way to tell of a PSU can handel it is to try it out. It's not really that hard to change out a PSU. The hard part is doing all the wiring again.

Yes you'll have to nuke the current ATI drivers if you want to avoid a problem. That includes using Driver Cleaner Pro (free).
Proper way to do it:
-With ATI card still installed, go into device manager and uninstall it that way first
-Then Reboot into safe mode and run driver cleaner pro with ATI profile and then use Cab Cleaner (might take a while).
-Then shut down and install your nvidia card
-Bootup into regular windows, and install drivers
-Reboot
-Enjoy

For Nvidia Drivers I will always recommend the XTreme-G modified drivers. (better than original's). Current best one is the XG 91.45's.

And with Nvidia drivers newer does not always equal better.

Have fun :)

Edit: Best cooler would probably be the VF-900 from Zalman. It's a little expensive though.

trigun500

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2006
yeah, it's only 350watts. i am just afraid i'll miss a connector or like my Motherboard will blow becuase this is a 600watt replacing a 350watt

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
if u have a quality 600w psu u should have no problem, if its low quality then good luck with that

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: trigun500
from the looks of that link, i'll be WELL under my PSU max with using only 284watt.

It tells me to have at least a 300 watt psu. I have a Enemax 350 watt with 26 amps on the 12v rail and with my cpu and vidoecard overclocked. Runs like a champ!

The 7900gt pulls about 10 more watts then the 7800gs.

Josh7289

Apr 19, 2005
That calculator tells me I need 220 Watts for my setup with a 6600 GT, but it doesn't tell me how many amps I need on the rails, although my +12V is rated at 21A, and when measuring it, I got about that constant on my 350 Watt Antec SmartPower2.0 PSU.

EDIT: Fixed my Wattage.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Your video card company tells you how much amps are needed.
Remember your power supply is usually about 80% efficient. Try not to load it more than that. 8o watts for every 100 watts rated. AT least thats what I go by.

I don't think there is a aftermarket cooler for this card. If there is show me the link please. Anyway mine runs at about 51c under load which is fine, and I've had my card overclocked at 504 core,1.45 mem ,but it's a BFG card .