Hello from old TeAm member....

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
We are planning a trip to Puerto Rico in Oct 2014,and I was thinking of visiting the Arecibo Observatory which made me think of you guys. I've noticed a number of other old guys still crunching for the TeAm. So, a big hello Mark, Peter, Gary, Gregg, Ken, Rich and Brett. Excuse me if I missed anyone.

Just wanted to say hi! John

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Hi, John!

TTIWWP! (This Thread Is Welcoming Wonderful Pics.) ;) So be sure to take some when you go.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Hi, John!

TTIWWP! (This Thread Is Welcoming Wonderful Pics.) ;) So be sure to take some when you go.

Ken, you made me curious as I was surprised that there was no editor icon to post a picture. So, I am testing to see if this works.

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

The preview works, so let me see if the pics stay if posted. This is my farm of SETI crunchers from around 2005.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hi John how ya doing!? :), nice fleet you had back then! :cool:

What are you crunching & what with now?
Atm I've got my main rig on Milkway@H & Asteroids@H (& some LHC@H), with other rigs doing a little SETI.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Hi John how ya doing!? :), nice fleet you had back then! :cool:

What are you crunching & what with now?
Atm I've got my main rig on Milkway@H & Asteroids@H (& some LHC@H), with other rigs doing a little SETI.

Hi Mark! I wish I had checked in on you guys last year as I now realized that I was very near Guilford back on Sep and it would have been great to see you! We flew into Heathrow, spent the night then head down to Dover to catch a ship for 39 days. On one leg of the cruise we went all the way around Great Britain. In addition to England, we were able to visit Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. We returned to Dover twice and managed see a lot of Kent.

I am not crunching any longer. If I were I'd still be active on the TeAm. :) I put so much into it with SETI that I realized just how compulsive I can be. I get letters from SETI@home requesting my help, but I figure I've done enough.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Wow that was a cool holiday you did! :) did you enjoy it?
Yea Heathrow isn't far at all, only about a 30-40 min drive in good traffic IIRC. I certainly would of been up for meeting you. Doh!

Re crunching, ah ok but I'm surprised you don't just crunch when you happen to have the pc on anyway, or is that the slippery slope for you? ;)
Still just 2 rigs here, & only 1 24/7 the other on occasionally.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Just wanted to say hi!
Hi back at ya :)

Most of us don't have big farms, just using what we have and update hardware every once in a while. But we still contribute a little!

Einstein@Home uses data from Arecibo and would run nicely on your GTX560Ti. You could have 1 million points in two months before stopping for warm weather :)

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

It might help you enjoy your trip more?

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Wow that was a cool holiday you did! :) did you enjoy it?
Yea Heathrow isn't far at all, only about a 30-40 min drive in good traffic IIRC. I certainly would of been up for meeting you. Doh!

Re crunching, ah ok but I'm surprised you don't just crunch when you happen to have the pc on anyway, or is that the slippery slope for you? ;)
Still just 2 rigs here, & only 1 24/7 the other on occasionally.

It was incredible! I felt like I wore out that word I used it so much. In the past 1.5 years we have traveled a lot having retired. We did a Med cruise and transatlantic last Oct/Nov, on the TA we visited Mallorca and Grand Canaria, to mention a couple of ports. This time last year were on a 48-day cruise from Los Angles to NYC going around South America. The 1st leg of the 39-day cruise out of Dover took us to 4 ports in Norway, 1 each in Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France. After the GB tour, we headed back to NYC on a northern route TA that took us to places like Iceland and Greenland.

I've been doing a lot of web design stuff to include things for the cruise. Here is the Itinerary for the 39-day cruise to give you an example.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
How ya been John :)

Hope things have been well for you & have a good time on your trip.

Thank!

Nice to hear from you!

Thanks Brett!

Hi back at ya :)

Most of us don't have big farms, just using what we have and update hardware every once in a while. But we still contribute a little!

Einstein@Home uses data from Arecibo and would run nicely on your GTX560Ti. You could have 1 million points in two months before stopping for warm weather :)

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

It might help you enjoy your trip more?

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Sounds interesting Gary. Does it use the GTX560Ti without running additional drivers? I bought it to run WoW at high detail and frame rate. It also works well with multiple monitors. I'll give it some thought. Actually it might work better if I crunched for someone else so that I don't ignite my competitive nature again.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Hey!
Still crunching Seti here, sounds like fun all that traveling!
Greg (Smoke, AKA smokeball) shared pics of his Arecibo trip too.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Hey!
Still crunching Seti here, sounds like fun all that traveling!
Greg (Smoke, AKA smokeball) shared pics of his Arecibo trip too.

Hi Rick, I remember that! We visited Greg in Biloxi before he had his health issue (stroke?). I didn't find him in my quick review of recent activity. What ever happened to Greg?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
So John you can't just do a little bit for yourself then? ;) (crunching that is).
Sounds like your having a great retirement :cool:

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hello John -- good to see you're up and around! :) Hope you enjoy a great vacation down there! I look forward to one day getting down to Arecibo myself.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Those cruises sound amazing! I'm ready to retire too. I just have another 35 years of work or so to put in first.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol, me too! But I've 'only' got 23 yrs left (I think, might be 24 yrs). Don't know that I'll be able to fix cars until I'm 67/68 yrs old though! (nor do I want to :p)
What's the retirement age in the US?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I don't know how to respond :(
I think about how it has been 22 months since I quit and I still want a cigarette! I think it would be impossible for me to start smoking only a little bit :eek:
Good point, though smoking can be very addictive.
Mind you I only smoke 1-3 cigs a week! ;), seriously.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Lol, me too! But I've 'only' got 23 yrs left (I think, might be 24 yrs). Don't know that I'll be able to fix cars until I'm 67/68 yrs old though! (nor do I want to :p)
What's the retirement age in the US?

60 something. By the time I'm old enough to retire it will probably be 90.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Hi Rick, I remember that! We visited Greg in Biloxi before he had his health issue (stroke?). I didn't find him in my quick review of recent activity. What ever happened to Greg?

I was here last year and saw him mention that he had health issues, since then haven't seen him.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
And wow a Mgallik siting! :), that's even rarer, lol.

Hey Mark, how you doing? Don't think we've chatted since the brief convo on FB a few years ago!
Crunching anything?

Last 3 posters are '99'ers ;)