Hello everyone

Slahr Dzhe

Oct 10, 1999
Some of you may or may not remember me in these parts, but at one point I was an avid member of TA. I took a break for about a decade or so (has it really been that long?) and was wondering if there was anything to run on my "old" box these days?

Thanks for your help,

SD

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Welcome back!

"Porch light is always on" :)

I just passed five years, so I don't remember you directly.

But the name looks familiar :confused:
Maybe I saw it in an old thread Assimilator1 dredged up from somewhere?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Welcome back!

I remember your name from the SETI classic days but not entirely sure i remember you posting in the forums.

How ya been & how old is that comp???

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I remember you for sure. :)

Welcome back. :D

I think there are still a couple of projects that run on ancient equipment. On up to projects that kick butt when running on video card GPUs. We'd always talked about asslaminating video cards n such, and now it's happened. :Q

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
Welcome back! I'm relatively new so I don't remember that far back... :)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
sorry I don't remember you... just load up bonic and have a go to what ever project you want to run. Most importantly have fun. But, sorry I don't remember you.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
You pre-date me too, but I'm glad you've come by.

No 'pooter too small! (or old :p )

-Sid

rabrittain

Dec 28, 2006
I'm a noob; so ... don't remember you. You seem interesting. Thanks for comming by.

... hope you're reading this thread.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
I no longer crunch but I remember you, Slahr Dzhe. :)

Hi Den, how come you no longer crunch? :(

I kinda lost the spark. That's ok. I did my share here and at BBR. Maybe I'll resume in the future. Who knows?:)
Ah ok, suprised you don't just run something on your main PC when it's on though, easy enough to install :), unless it's F@H SMP of course lol :p, I guess you're scared of the competition heheh :D.

Slahr Dzhe

Oct 10, 1999
Umm. Let me see. I have only 1 working machine again (this seems to happen a lot lately and the reason I don't reply for weeks at a time), but it's the "old" Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz. I don't have a recent GPU to run things on, or a friendly environment to push too hard, but wanted to see what sort of things are available for an old clunky box like this. Current stable OS is XP Pro with 3.25GB of DDR2 memory. I won't OC this as it is in a space that is often above 90F and it can't take the added stress. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

SD

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Slahr Dzhe. I remember you; I just missed you the first time around as I've cooled off on DC too. But I just got a new Q9400 to replace my old Athlon XP (that's old!), and now that I can actually get results with PrimeGrid, I'm more into it at the moment.

If you're not overclocking that E8400, you should look into undervolting it. My Q9400 was able to go down nearly 0.1V, and went down a good 5-6 degrees in temperature. If you can run a Prime95 torture test stably for at least an hour or so, PPS LLR (not to be confused with PSP LLR) has small, fast work units that can get you a top 5000 prime. If not, sieving won't heat your CPU as much, and might get a little more BOINC credit.

I'm sure there are lots of other good projects for you, but like I said, I haven't been paying much attention lately. ;)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol that's not an old box! :p

Pretty much any project will run on that decent & recent rig you have ;), although I guess the projects with really long WUs (like CPDN?? & 1 other I can't recall) might take too long for your liking.

Btw undervolting in high heat might give the same stabilty problems as overclocking, either way you could test with a 24hr OCCT run followed by at least a couple of F@H SMP WUs, for a really good test.