Hellgate: London SP demo now available!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: natep
Originally posted by: Rage187
They lifted the NDA for the beta, btw, if anyone wants to give some info.

is beta over?

Beta servers went down today but not sure if it was planned or server issues.

I think it's planned. It is supposed to be up by now.

beta forums say servers down until 5pm Eastern.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TheUnk
Beta was fun.

You are buying a crippled game unless you subscribe though. I had it pre-ordered, but with the recent annoucement of what non-subs don't get, I cancelled.

Sorry but I should not have to pay monthly for enough character slots for each class, or to play the game on it's hardest difficulty, or to play in Hardcore mode. And extra stash space should be something you aquire in the game, not pay real money for.

Don't tell Aikouka, he still thinks the difference will have no real effect on gameplay.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Beta was fun.

You are buying a crippled game unless you subscribe though. I had it pre-ordered, but with the recent annoucement of what non-subs don't get, I cancelled.

Sorry but I should not have to pay monthly for enough character slots for each class, or to play the game on it's hardest difficulty, or to play in Hardcore mode. And extra stash space should be something you aquire in the game, not pay real money for.

what about the SP experience? that is what i am looking for and the multi can be a bonus.

servers came online during the wee hours of the AM [PST] and are again down till ~3PM PST for those that are in the beta

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
Beta was fun.

what about the SP experience? that is what i am looking for and the multi can be a bonus.

Subscriber Features

Elite Mode
This is for those players that always feel a game is too easy. The demons are tougher, deal out more damage, move faster, travel in larger groups, and have more champions at the ready. Numerous tweaks to the overall balance and progression of the game make this an extremely challenging mode.

Hardcore
Hardcore mode takes away the various resurrection options. For the gamer that wants the ultimate test, try playing an Elite Hardcore character!

Themed Events and Items

Halloween (October 31 ? November 4)

Zombot - A special pet just for All Hallows?, this amalgam of meat and metal is sure to frighten and delight those players that are willing to put in the time to find all the necessary pieces in order to construct him.

All Hallow?s Visage - A Unique Helm that has not only very special properties, but as well a look unlike any other helm in the game. Ghost Rider would be jealous!

All Hallow?s Treats - Delicious and devious, these different candies do everything from temporarily boosting stats to temporarily altering the appearance of the devourer.

All Hallows? Quests - There is a pair of special quests available, including one that is repeatable for continuous fun.

Nemo ~ Master of Festivities - This special NPC can first be found in Covent Garden Station to greet players and send them on their way with quests specifically crafted for the season.

Guild Creation
Buy purchasing a Guild Herald, a character can form a new guild. Characters can only be part of one guild at a time and should a Guild leader decide to abandon their post, they can pass leadership of the Guild to another subscribing guild member.

Achievements
These are long-term goals for players. The player starts with a few new goals in an Achievement Log. These can be as simple as slaying a certain amount of specific demons to something as difficult as completing quests without the benefit of armor! Players uncover new goals as they start to meet the requirements of that achievement. For example, after 50 zombies have been slain, an ?Achievement Unlocked? message displays on the screen. Checking the Achievement Log shows how many zombies must be eradicated to complete the achievement. Rewards for completing achievements can be anything from reputation to tags on the player to special particle effects to items to special skills to ? well, anything is possible!

Extra Character Slots
While everyone gets 3 character slots, subscribers can have a maximum of 24 characters.

Larger Stash
Each character?s storage locker is doubled in size with an extra 6x8 section, making the hoarding of all sorts of goodies that much easier. Packrats rejoice!

Founder?s Perks
Name Color
Forum Icon
More to come? (this will be an on-going area, as well)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
let me try once again:

what about the SP experience? that is what i am looking for
:confused:
--isn't it supposed to be 60 hours or am i thinking of something else?

i only play one character at a time ... 3 slots for everyone in MP anyway.
-i am [maybe] buying it for SP ... then if the multi draws me in ... then and only then will i even consider a monthly subscription for extra content

LotRO didn't do anything for me :p
-otoh, i'd love a SP campaign to cover all three books
:heart:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'd call unable to change difficulty level, reduced amount of storage space, inability to start more character types without deleting previous, and limited access to skills/abilities as being a fairly significant impact on the single players aspect.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
???? are you saying that subscribe get access to more than non subscriber when both are playing single player mode ?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
I'd call unable to change difficulty level, reduced amount of storage space, inability to start more character types without deleting previous, and limited access to skills/abilities and being a fairly significant impact on the single players aspect.

where did they say skill access would be limited?

you always had a finite # of chars in D2 (i think). and difficulty requires you to beat it first, just like diablo.

if i'm wrong, please point me to said information :)

natep

Sep 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
I'd call unable to change difficulty level, reduced amount of storage space, inability to start more character types without deleting previous, and limited access to skills/abilities and being a fairly significant impact on the single players aspect.

you always had a finite # of chars in D2 (i think). and difficulty requires you to beat it first, just like diablo.

there's a special subscriber only difficulty mode called Elite. also, hardcore is subscriber only, i think.

you also had waaay more than 3 spots in D2.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

there's a special subscriber only difficulty mode called Elite. also, hardcore is subscriber only, i think.

you also had waaay more than 3 spots in D2.

true for both. i wonder how "elite" mode will compare to the standard normal/nightmare/hell of diablo. i hope it's the step after hell, as opposed to replacing nightmare/hell

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

read the description of the achievements.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
But these benefits are for MP only - right? Subscriber does not get more slots/skills in SP ? Or do they ?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

read the description of the achievements.

sounds like it's a bonus thing - not like an "unlockable" skill that a character has but simply can't get due to the lack of an achievement. i agree it's a bit dumb, but i can't imagine that it'll screw things over that badly.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

sounds like it's a bonus thing - not like an "unlockable" skill that a character has but simply can't get due to the lack of an achievement. i agree it's a bit dumb, but i can't imagine that it'll screw things over that badly.

an ?Achievement Unlocked? message displays on the screen. Rewards for completing achievements can be anything from reputation to tags on the player to special particle effects to items to special skills.

Without a list of what will be available can't make any statements about the effectiveness, but they are in the game already.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Sounds like you are describing 2Worlds :p
[except there you have over-access to skills ]

i am still hurting from paying $40 for that turkey
[and i haven't even tried online]

But *none* of the HGL 'elite' pay-for-crap has ANY effect on SP - just continued MP content - i am spending $50 for SP ... i could give a rat's ass about MP unless it is really good and then it just a bonus. And IF it is the best MMO game in the world, then i will consider paying monthly for it.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
The single player game had almost as much "boring" factor as Matrix Online Beta did... and MxO was definitely a steaming piece of crap. While Hellgate isn't as bad as some posters have described, I just don't feel right saying it's anything like D2... except in mindlessness.

If you like mindless slaughter, MP components, and item/armor upgrades, this is the game for you I guess...

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I should mention I "beat" the 1.4GB SP demo in <1 hour... if I wasn't on my speedy Uni connection I would be pissed at wasting time downloading it. OTOH I was pleasantly surprised that like D2 there are "randomly" generated areas once you leave towns (stations).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
The single player game had almost as much "boring" factor as Matrix Online Beta did... and MxO was definitely a steaming piece of crap. While Hellgate isn't as bad as some posters have described, I just don't feel right saying it's anything like D2... except in mindlessness.

If you like mindless slaughter, MP components, and item/armor upgrades, this is the game for you I guess...

excuse me ... but the Demo *Sucks*

it is *nothing* like the MP beta - it is HUGE ... and fun!!

i have been playing it non-stop for 6 hours [level 9]
i am buying it

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

i am buying it

That's good to know, is it sorta like D2 where SP sucks baals (hah!) and MP/partying was soooo much fun? If so I know I'm getting this with some gaming buddies....

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

i am buying it

That's good to know, is it sorta like D2 where SP sucks baals (hah!) and MP/partying was soooo much fun? If so I know I'm getting this with some gaming buddies....

no no ... no

i am *soloing* ... it is a HUGE game ... i have 11 or 12 hours into it [started this evening about 4-5PM and JUST finished with a crash [mine] ... and thank GOD for server errors ... or Satan ... i finished everything so far along with the MQ and at level 11 ... it is pretty good]

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005

i am buying it

no no ... no

i am *soloing* ... it is a HUGE game ... i have 11 or 12 hours into it [started this evening about 4-5PM and JUST finished with a crash [mine] ... and thank GOD for server errors ... or Satan ... i finished everything so far along with the MQ and at level 11 ... it is pretty good]

Yea I have the beta and haven't tried the demo, but from others on the beta server they said that the beta is like 100x-1000x better. You can use all the classes and the playable area is huge (up to Temple station I believe).

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
It's still the same premise, right?

Kill mobs, loot, sell loot, buy better gear, kill mobs with better gear, repeat.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

Kill mobs, loot, sell loot, buy better gear, kill mobs with better gear, repeat.

tried and true :p

i really like it ... i ended up playing most of 12 hours last night - till 4AM .... guess where i am going now ... work?

nope ...

HGL

[by purest *coincidence* my work is blown-out ... wind (dis)gusts to 75MPH]
:D

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

tried and true :p

i really like it ... i ended up playing most of 12 hours last night - till 4AM .... guess where i am going now ... work?

nope ...

HGL

[by purest *coincidence* my work is blown-out ... wind (dis)gusts to 75MPH]
:D

lucky man :p