Hellgate: London - Multiplayer could be possible soon

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
https://london2038.com/
http://www.moddb.com/mods/revival-sp-modification

It looks like a modding team have taken up the mantle so many left unfinished and are looking to revive Hellgate: London by making a free private server for people to play on. It's currently in alpha and ONLY available to those who actually own the game, but given how much they've accomplished, it looks like this might actually bring back one of my favorite ARPGs.

I was hoping to find some unofficial patches or something to fix all the bugs that were left in the game before FSS closed down, but both the Nexus and moddb are pretty barren in that aspect.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Almost exactly 10 years old (ten years and two days as of this post), but with any popular/heavily anticipated game, there will always be a dedicated fanbase as well as people who loved the game, but due to the developer going under, lost track after the support went dark.

As I said, there were many bugs that needed to be fixed, but Flagship Studios never got around to fixing them before they went under and from what I recall, they never released the source code, but rather someone "stole" the code from them so modding for the game was extremely touch and go for a long time. There were some people who started making mods after the code was posted a few places, but they were given C&D orders by the original owners of FSS because they technically still owned the rights to the game. I may have gotten that last bit wrong, but I know there was a lot of legal issues people were going through back then because I had a mod someone made that balanced a lot of the spells from the Evoker(?) but a few days after I grabbed the mod, it disappeared off the site.

Regardless, I know I'd be interested in playing it again so I figured there may be some other fans of the game lurking around here. Besides, just because it's an old game doesn't mean it's not fun.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
This game had servers run by a Korean company up till a little over a year ago. I played both the original release and the Korean hosted version. It's a fun game if you like Diablo and want to use guns. I wasn't aware that the Koreans had shut down their servers until you posted this but it looks like they gave it up over a year ago. Hopefully the modding community can make something useful out of it. The game itself deserved better than the mess that was Flagship studios.

Feb 25, 2011
Huh. Timing.

I had seen a bunch of screenshots of that, but thought they were for Diablo III, which I therefore assumed was a Fallout-style 1st-person RPG.

So the other day, I finally bought Diablo III. Surprise!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
This was an awesome game. Kind of an MMO-ish Borderlands before Borderlands existed and possibly one of the only DX10 titles that made good use of DX10.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
hellgate london was surprisingly good. the problem i had was there was no point to paying attention to the story. diablo has some lore elements to it (less so with 3 vs 1/2).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
hellgate london was surprisingly good. the problem i had was there was no point to paying attention to the story. diablo has some lore elements to it (less so with 3 vs 1/2).

Story, I found, was awesome.

It's intro video rivalled Blizzard's greatest and there was the twist (and turns) I never saw coming in a million years.

Sure, it was fairly generic and bland like most games of this style/genre are but I still remember a couple of the most pertinent points and interesting points today.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Oh boy I remember playing that for a bit, maybe two months or so. I did enjoy it for that time. Not sure what happened after some point but I just stopped pretty much overnight. I don't remember much out of it now though, it's a blur and I'd have to watch some old gameplay videos to have an idea of how it was like. What I think I remember is that the enemy variety was extremely low and repetitive, but that it was overall still fun and addictive to search areas for loot. It was mostly linear from what I recall with some 'branching' paths left or right to explore a bit, probably similar to Left 4 Dead; go from point A to 'Safe House' point B and explore a bit in between left and right. But it was decent.

If they could remaster it or something and ensure the servers could run at least two years with a decent F2P model and aesthetics-related microtransactions I think I'd be ready to play it again.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This game had servers run by a Korean company up till a little over a year ago
Hanbitsoft had the rights to a ton of old ARPG games. Hellgate: London and Mythos being their big sellers. They kept the servers up for HGL for a long time, but for Mythos, they completely revamped the game and turned it into some weird hub-world faux-MMO with pay-to-win features. Mythos you could play through the browser or download the client which would log you in through a browser, but HGL (I believe) still required the base game.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i remember in the summer of 2007, a dark gray Van had stopped by a shopping center parking lot near where i worked. i got on it, and inside were several computers running 8800GTXs with a demo of Crysis and Hellgate London to showcase DX10 and nVidia hardware.

and if you must know, yes i frequently get on any vans parked outside shopping centers. it fills life with excitement and surprises.