Hell starts freezing...PC Power and Cooling's Silencers now have 135mm cooling fans.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Will wonders never cease. PC Power and Cooling has "refreshed" their Silencer line with 135mm downdraft cooling fans.

No wonder their "myth" page mysteriously disappeared from their website. Guess the "120mm and larger cooling fans are disasters waiting to happen" myth was just that....a myth.

To quote PCP&C's "cooling fan myth":

Most low-noise ATX power supplies today utilize a top-mounted 120mm fan rather than a rear-mounted 80mm fan. The 120's favorable reputation is based on the fact that under low to medium load conditions, the 120mm fan provides sufficient cooling at low RPM and low RPM fans are generally very quiet.

However, problems occur with this design when the load exceeds 50%-60%. Because the 120mm fan consumes about 1.5" of vertical space inside the PSU, heat sinks, capacitors, and other components are about 30% smaller in height compared to a PSU with a rear-mounted fan. The smaller parts can handle less current, so the maximum power available with the 120mm design is limited. And, because the heat sinks have less surface area, more air flow is needed with this design to keep the thermal situation under control. With 80%-100% load, the 120's fan speed can double and the noise level can jump by up to 20dB.

In conclusion, for systems that require more than 50% of the power supply's capacity, a well-engineered PSU with a rear-mounted 80mm fan will provide superior performance and reliability (due to larger components) at a noise level comparable to a PSU equipped with a 120mm fan.

Guess it's OK, though, since the new Silencer Mk II lineup come with 135mm double ball bearing fans. It comes in wattages of 500W, 650W, 750W, 950W.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/ultra-quiet/

And it seems they're no longer using Seasonic as the OEM for the Silencers, a downright tragedy IMHO, but Sirfa/Highpower. Sheesh, talk about moving down in quality OEM's. Sort of like dumping Mercedes as an OEM for your car and moving to Yugo.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I was afraid this would happen when OCZ bought them. I had a little hope when I saw that OCZ was trying to build quality SSD's though.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
How do these new "80 Plus Silver" PSUs compare in efficiency to their old units?

EDIT: I just looked up the specs for the old 750 watt Silencer. It is rated at 83%. According to my math it would produce 20.4% waste heat compared to 13.6% waste heat on the new model.

So at 500 watts we are talking 102 watts of waste heat vs 68 watts of waste heat for the old vs new comparison.

Last edited:

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
How do these new "80 Plus Silver" PSUs compare in efficiency to their old units?

EDIT: I just looked up the specs for the old 750 watt Silencer. It is rated at 83%. According to my math it would produce 20.4% waste heat compared to 13.6% waste heat on the new model.

So at 500 watts we are talking 102 watts of waste heat vs 68 watts of waste heat for the old vs new comparison.

The Silencer 910 was 80 plus Silver....will be tough for a High Power Unit to top that or equal it....shame it had such a limited run....but you can buy the same PSU with a larger fan as the XFX Black Series and the Seasonic M12D

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Great, now I'll have to watch it again. ;)

(If you haven't already done so I highly recommend watching the movie with commentary as well.)

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Some more, theAnimal......just for you. ;)

[Nigel is playing a soft piece on the piano]
Marty: It's very pretty.

Nigel: Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months.

Marty: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play.

Nigel
: It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

Marty: It's very nice.

Nigel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...

Marty: What do you call this?

Nigel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

You can't really dust for vomit.

It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.

Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.

You put a *greased naked woman* on all fours with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive? You don't find that sexist?

"This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'"

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
The Silencer 910 was 80 plus Silver....will be tough for a High Power Unit to top that or equal it....shame it had such a limited run....but you can buy the same PSU with a larger fan as the XFX Black Series and the Seasonic M12D

910 watts @ 88% efficiency would be 123 watts of waste heat according to my basic math.

Is this the point where full height heatsinks with 80mm side fan are actually quieter than shorter heatsinks and a larger top fan?

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
910 watts @ 88% efficiency would be 123 watts of waste heat according to my basic math.

Is this the point where full height heatsinks with 80mm side fan are actually quieter than shorter heatsinks and a larger top fan?

well actually 110W, but it wasn't quite that efficient at full load more like 85%

and no it is much louder than the Seasonic M12D and XFX Black Edition based on the same platform...especially when the fan is set as aggressively as PC P&C always had theirs set.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
well actually 110W

If a power supply is only 88% efficient at converting energy into 910 watts, wouldn't that require 1033 watts at the wall outlet? (ie, 123 watts waste heat)

Now if PSU was only 85% efficient at 910 watts (and I do believe you are right about this) we would be talking 1070 watts at the outlet. Yeah 160 watts waste is a big jump up from 123 watts waste heat. (Thanks for catching me on this)

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
If a power supply is only 88% efficient at converting energy into 910 watts, wouldn't that require 1033 watts at the wall outlet? (ie, 123 watts waste heat)

yeah...I wasn't thinking right.

But the Silencer 910 is pretty loud when supplying more than 60% of its capacity.