Hell On Earth? Welcome To Texas!!

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
http://rt.com/usa/164376-texas-fracking-methane-water/

The Railroad Commission’s tests found Lipsky’s water contained 8.6 milligrams per liter of methane, not quite the federal limit of 10. Yet separate tests by a researcher at the University of Texas-Arlington found 83 milligrams per liter in the water, an incredibly high count.

No conclusive evidence that the increased methane in the well water is related to fracking - yet the article's title is Flaming water wells? High methane levels in Texas water linked to fracking

After measuring gas content in his water well, state regulators said that while methane concentration in Lipsky’s water was up, the chemical makeup of the methane was inconclusive. Thus, the source of the gas remains a mystery, according to the state.

Nonetheless,.. WTF Texas? I thought no one was suppose to mess with you. Yet, your water is being poisoned, chemicals are being dumped on your roads by these fracking companies... does anyone care??

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
The oil company is a freaking saint for staying quiet and letting them have it for free. They SHOULD haul these freeloaders to court for stealing their gas.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
They recently wanted to rename the Railroad Commission to something more logical. But since this is Texass, the Railroad Commission actually spends most of it's time railroading the citizens and running right over them while allowing the corrupt corporations who are raping the finite natural resources to slash and burn and leave nothing liveable behind in their wake.

Anyway, it's reassuring to know that truthful baby Jesus inspired irony is not lost at all on the Texass state legislators. Because they are hard at work protecting us all from the horrible, gross gays with plans for gay reparative therapy being at the top of their GOP political agenda, while the bought and paid for corporate politicians completely ignore the greedy corporate interests while they completely destroy the natural resources just to make a fast buck.

Which reminds me of the Exxon chief executive who recently did not want to allow gas drilling and fracking in HIS backyard in Texass. The tragically high level of twisted irony just never seems to stop in this state.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2...ants-fracking-operations-in-his-neighborhood/

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Why is this person the only one in Parker County that complaining of gas in his water well? Did he try to dig his own gas well thinking he could make a quick buxk and end up contaminating his water well?

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
http://rt.com/usa/164376-texas-fracking-methane-water/
Nonetheless,.. WTF Texas? I thought no one was suppose to mess with you. Yet, your water is being poisoned, chemicals are being dumped on your roads by these fracking companies... does anyone care??

More People Moving to Texas Than Anywhere Else in US

From 2010 to 2013, more people moved to Texas than anywhere else in the US.

In a Census study, Pew researchers found Austin to be the nation’s 'capital for population growth.'

People are also drawn to four other Texas cities...San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas.

Kind of makes you wonder why all those people keep moving here. Don't it?

Uno

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Surprisingly it's only his neighbors and no others in Parker County. Looks like they also got caught falsifying evidence as well.

http://watrnews.com/2012/03/residen...-showing-water-could-be-ignited/#.U5Y0xxW7kvE

The Environmental Protection Agency said Friday it is no longer requiring a gas driller it had accused of contaminating private wells to provide water to two North Texas families.
The EPA submitted the withdrawal to the court in Texas on Thursday, not long after Judge Trey Loftin concluded residents in Parker County had collaborated with an environmental consultant to falsify video showing how their water — supposedly contaminated with methane — could be ignited.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Igniting tap water is nothing new. The 3 Stooges (great memories) had several episodes about it in the 40s. This has always been naturally available, particularly where coal or oil are prevalent.

Jim

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
From 2010 to 2013, more people moved to Texas than anywhere else in the US.

In a Census study, Pew researchers found Austin to be the nation’s 'capital for population growth.'

People are also drawn to four other Texas cities...San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas.

Well that does it. I'm moving to Arlen.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
No state income tax is one BIG reason.

What is going to happen, liberals are going to move to Texas because we do not have an income tax, then they are going to approve an income tax.

Then the liberals are going to complain their taxes are too high, yet again.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/...hey-have-to-pay-all-the-taxes-they-voted-for/

“I’m at the breaking point,” said Gretchen Gardner, an Austin artist who bought a 1930s bungalow in the Bouldin neighborhood just south of downtown in 1991 and has watched her property tax bill soar to $8,500 this year.

“It’s not because I don’t like paying taxes,” said Gardner, who attended both meetings. “I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can’t afford to live here anymore. I’ll protest my appraisal notice, but that’s not enough. Someone needs to step in and address the big picture.”

Never mind, it is already happening.

As for the opening post, if it does not directly affect me, it is none of my business.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
And its says the most are moving to Austin, Austin is the last bastion of normal thinking in Texas. In fact if texas wants to succeed we'll keep Austin it will be like our new berlin along with an access road. :$

LOL @ "normal thinking" in Austin. Outside of the campus area, and a couple other elitist neighborhoods around central it's the same as any other city.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
What is going to happen, liberals are going to move to Texas because we do not have an income tax, then they are going to approve an income tax.

Then the liberals are going to complain their taxes are too high, yet again.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/...hey-have-to-pay-all-the-taxes-they-voted-for/

Never mind, it is already happening.

As for the opening post, if it does not directly affect me, it is none of my business.

you do know the there's been no income tax in texas longer than it been a conservative haven, don't you. texas was much more liberal before bush was governor.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
A link from a more reputable source than RT I guess dated June 9 2014.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/06/steve_lipsky_flaming_methane_water.php

More Evidence Shows Flaming Faucet Anti-Fracking Guy Has a Point, But the State Is Sticking With the Industry

By Amy Silverstein
If an angry homeowner-turned-environmental-activist keeps getting vindicated by research, but all the important government people just ignore it, does the research make a sound? Probably not. Steve Lipsky, the homeowner in Parker County who became famous for being able to set his water on fire after Range Resources started drilling for natural gas nearby four years ago, has failed to get the government or the industry to do much for him in his crusade against fracking. (Choice quote from his Facebook page: "Why am I being sued for $4,000,000 ??"). Now, WFAA is reporting on new data that seems to finally draw a conclusive link between fracking and Lipsky's flammable water. If only it mattered.

Lipsky recently sent samples of his water to a lab called Isotech Laboratories. Dr. Zac Hildenbrand, a visiting scientist at UT-Arlington who analyzes water quality for a living, then agreed to look at the data to help Lipsky make sense of it. What Hildenbrand found was a lot of methane.
"It's the highest value I've ever seen," Hildenbrand tells Unfair Park. The numbers say that Lipsky's water contains 76 milligrams per liter of methane. For comparison, the federal government says any concentration above 10 milligrams per liter is unsafe because it could cause an explosion. In non-scientific terms -- kaboom!

Hildenbrand won't speculate on what caused that unusually high methane concentration. "I think that would be irresponsible of me to say at this time," he says. (He adds that he is collecting data for a UT-Austin study that will address that question later on).

But WFAA did reach two other researchers -- earth scientist Geoffery Thyne and soil scientist Bryce Payne -- who reviewed the Hildenbrand/Isotech findings, and said it appears that the nearby fracking is in fact to blame for the elevated methane. "Both Thyne and Payne believe these test results could represent the nation's first conclusive link between fracking and aquifer contamination," the station reports.
That's not as big of a deal as it seems. There's already been a decent amount of research drawing a link between fracking and water contamination. The key is getting people to listen. It was way back in 2011 when the feds first scientifically linked underground water pollution with fracking in Wyoming.

A study on Pennsylvania water published last August similarly found that people living near fracking wells were more at risk to have their water contaminated with methane.

And there have been enough complaints about the methane in Parker County that the Texas Railroad Commission this January agreed to reopen the investigation it had dismissed earlier.

But then, at the end of last month, the commission closed that investigation.

As for those ridiculously high methane levels that Hildenbrand recently found, the Texas Railroad Commission's response is basically, what numbers? Texas also came out with its own study on methane in Parker County water that conveniently put Lipsky's numbers much lower, at just 8.6 milligrams per liter of methane. The state told WFAA that it is standing by its own research.

Through all of this drama, Range Resources has found time last year to launch a lawsuit against Lipsky. Last August, the company won an appeals court's permission to pursue defamation and business disparagement claims against him.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
you do know the there's been no income tax in texas longer than it been a conservative haven, don't you. texas was much more liberal before bush was governor.

The Texas constitution prohibits an income tax.

The only way to change the constitution is for the people to vote on the changes.

As for fracking, it will be a bane to future generations. 10, 15, 20 years from now someone builds a home, finds out fracking has contaminated the ground water.

We really need to think about what we are leaving behind for our kids and grandkids.

Last edited: