Heh - Dick Clark is being sued for age discrimination!

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Dick Clark Sued for Age Discrimination

Associated Press

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - A 76-year-old game show producer sued Dick Clark Monday, alleging the 74-year-old Clark called him a "dinosaur" and refused to hire him because of his age.

Ralph Andrews, who produced the 1960s and '70s game shows "It Takes Two," "By the Numbers" and "You Don't Say," filed the suit in Superior Court.

Text

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
Anything for a buck these days.... I never heard of Ralph Andrews or his lame-a** game shows, but I have heard of Dick Clark. I think Mr. Andrews is jealous.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
"(But) the last development guy we hired was 27 years old. Another person who is joining our staff next week is 30. People our age are considered dinosaurs! The business is being run by 'The Next Generation.'"

I think he took this statement the wrong way. Yeah, it has something to do with age, but in the entertainment business needs fresh faces and young people in order to advance and reach out to younger audiences.

Additionally, it doesn't specifically say that he wasn't hired because of his age, it was mearly a comment about what kinds of people are working there.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: compudog
Anything for a buck these days.... I never heard of Ralph Andrews or his lame-a** game shows, but I have heard of Dick Clark. I think Mr. Andrews is jealous.

Wow, what a great way to determine guilt/innocence there.
rolleye.gif

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
Well, I think this is another one of those stupid cases that seem to pop up almost daily. While I think the whole thing was dumb, I could see where Andrews would not be happy about it IF Dick Clark had said that he specifically was a dinosaur. That's still no reason to sue.....after all....isn't Freedom of Speech *supposed* to still be one of our rights? Dick Clark classified himself in that "dinosaur" category too. I think he was just trying to say that the networks were more interested in younger people and that if he didn't have his foot in the door that he probably wouldn't be working there either. Of course, that's just what I took from that statement. You can feel free to disagree if you want. :)

jc