heatsink removal

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I started to try to re-apply thermal paste and it didn't take long to run into a problem.

I have an AMD heatsink - not sure if it's stock, I assume so for AMD 965 II. Two issues.

1. there's a lever, but the limited amount I can pull it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm at the point of whether to force it or not, which will either break it or be what's needed to operate it.

2. There are 4 screws around the base of it to the motherboard. I'm not sure if they're part of the heatsink or not, whether I should remove them, whether it's needed. I'll post a pic if needed, bit of a hassle.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
the factory supplied HSF is held on with a lever that unlocks in the opposite direction it faces when locked down. It will probably click when unlocked. There are six tangs (3 per side) that hold the HSF to the plastic base.

here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We0NRiEuuSQ

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm trying to upload phots but Microsoft blocked the account for that and an hour with them they're useless to fix it so far

Lever feeling like it'll break if I pull it further is still an issue.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I'm trying to upload phots but Microsoft blocked the account for that and an hour with them they're useless to fix it so far

Lever feeling like it'll break if I pull it further is still an issue.
I understand.

The first time I changed out a HSF on an AM2/3 system, I found it scary to pull back the lever. It did work without anything breaking. It has to be pulled 180 degrees from locked so it shouldn't break anything.

I would be careful of the plastic tangs that the heat sink hooks to. You should be able to see them.

Also, why not make an account at pics.bbzzdd.com to host your pictures?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The bottom photo shows the lever on the bottom left below the fan.

Yes, it's very dusty. Top photo shows one metal strap thing sort of.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ok I have to give up. it is firmly attached and I see no way to undo whatever is holding it. Time to get help.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Once the locking lever is raised, there should be nothing holding the CPU to the socket except for pin friction. There is also the possibility that excessive thermal paste drizzled beneath the CPU. Getting an assist from a knowledgeable person is not a bad idea.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just after posting the above, I tried something I hadn't seen suggested or in videos - pushing down hard on the two metal devices. That made them unhook, and then the heatskink easily lifted off. *I did not force the lever.* Mission success I think. I'll post pics below.

One is just after lifting the heatsink, another is the cleaned version after 1 of 2 arctic fluids, the next is the thermal paste before putting the heatsink back on. the next is the q-tip after the cleaning by solution 1, that it still got dirty from putting on solution 2.

After all that, the computer is working - whew - not sure if it's totally successful. poweron temp is 60c, and before an mmo would drive it to 121c then poweroff, now it went to 95c.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
your temps are high.

did you clean out the dust on the heatsink?

also, to lower temps, try setting your power options to balanced in windows.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I did wipe off some dust on the heatsink, but it wasn't that well cleaned.

Actually the first two times I started to put it on the CPU, dust fell off of it onto the CPU, luckily I noticed and then cleaned the heatsink.

These temps are high, but are they high enough to be a problem?

What's the bad side of setting power options to balanced?

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Based on the photos, your whole system's innards are filthy.

The whole thing needs to be vacuumed out. Use a suitable size paint brush to scrape & lift dust while the vacuum removes it.

The heat sink also is not clean. I can see clogged fins. (The fins also are aluminum which is not as good as copper.)

Clean the system out really really good including your case fans & any filters.

A possibility is to replace the cpu sink with a higher quality unit (eg, uses copper fins).

PS: Had to do this with one of my machines. Mainly ditch the Intel OEM cpu sink and bought a larger Zalman all copper cpu sink from Fry's (bigger fan, bigger sink, better materials, use arctic silver, etc.) and it made a hell of a difference (eg, less heat, noise, etc.).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It IS filthy. I bought a cheapo USB vacuum and it can't even really pick up dust it's so bad.

If the system will have problems from the current temps (60c up to 95c) I might have to consider doing more on that, if not I'm tempted to leave it alone now that is has new paste.

I have a new system to get built with an i7-4790K and you have me thinking about possibly buying a new heatsink for that.

I think I gave myself tinnitus from the noise - 60db hours a day for years doesn't sound that high but the tinnitus is very similar to the PC noise. My fault running it with the cover off.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It IS filthy. I bought a cheapo USB vacuum and it can't even really pick up dust it's so bad.

If the system will have problems from the current temps (60c up to 95c) I might have to consider doing more on that, if not I'm tempted to leave it alone now that is has new paste.

I have a new system to get built with an i7-4790K and you have me thinking about possibly buying a new heatsink for that.

I think I gave myself tinnitus from the noise - 60db hours a day for years doesn't sound that high but the tinnitus is very similar to the PC noise. My fault running it with the cover off.

Those temps aren't good at all, and it means your heatsink is mostly clogged with dust, basically creating a dust blanket trapping heat.

You need to unplug your system and blow it out with an air compressor or canned air. Your temps will only get worse as more dust gets in your heatsink.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
use compressed air.

its' faster and easier just hold the fans from spinning.

I wouldn't personally do it that way. When the can gets cold to the touch, it tends to blow out condensation, which can instantly fry something if it hits the wrong spot.

Unplugging it is always the safe route. He probably should take the PC outside to blow it out due to the level of dust in there.

Edit:. You probably meant holding the CPU fans still so they don't move from the force of the compressed air. I just read it wrong.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
I wouldn't personally do it that way. When the can gets cold to the touch, it tends to blow out condensation, which can instantly fry something if it hits the wrong spot.

Unplugging it is always the safe route. He probably should take the PC outside to blow it out due to the level of dust in there.

can lol.

TechQuip5HP.jpg

150 psi and never any condensation concerns.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
can lol.

150 psi and never any condensation concerns.

Yeah, I updated my post already. I usually see most people refer to that as an air compressor, not compressed air which I take as a can of compressed air.

Just wanted the OP to be clear on what to do, and on what NOT to do.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Compressed air it is. I jut didn't want to re-do the thermal paste thing having just done it unless really needed.

I'm hoping I did get dust out of the cpu-heat sink connection and enough right around the CPU while it was exposed - used the saliva-and-qtip while unplugged approach.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Compressed air it is. I jut didn't want to re-do the thermal paste thing having just done it unless really needed.

I'm hoping I did get dust out of the cpu-heat sink connection and enough right around the CPU while it was exposed - used the saliva-and-qtip while unplugged approach.
you might not have a choice.

removing the heatsink is a good idea to clean it thoroughly and check that your compound is spread evenly across the cpu.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
you might not have a choice.

removing the heatsink is a good idea to clean it thoroughly and check that your compound is spread evenly across the cpu.

I'm not sure the point though.

I DID clean the contact area thoroughly and while that would allow checking it, it would also required redoing it making it pointless.

The photo above shows the past on just before I replaced the heatsink.

Shouldn't that show it was done ok? The only thing is after I put it on there was a little wiggling to hook the metal connectors back up.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Should I buy a new heatsink for a new build with an Intel i7 instead of using the stock? If so, which?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not sure the point though.

I DID clean the contact area thoroughly and while that would allow checking it, it would also required redoing it making it pointless.

The photo above shows the past on just before I replaced the heatsink.

Shouldn't that show it was done ok? The only thing is after I put it on there was a little wiggling to hook the metal connectors back up.
Usually I just remove the heatsink and clean it completely before new compound is applied. Dust buildup causes many problems. Sometimes I use a vacuum with the fuzzy round end to help loosen dust.
Should I buy a new heatsink for a new build with an Intel i7 instead of using the stock? If so, which?
That depends on what you will do with the system. If you are overclocking it then an aftermarket HSF is a good idea. I use an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro. It works great and is incredibly quiet.