Heatsink for EVGA X99 FTW K

Dante16

Mar 20, 2013
I just built a new pc with an I7 6850k, EVGA X99 FTW K motherboard, 64gigs of ram, and various other parts. The problem I am having is that the cpu socket on the EVGA X99 Motherboard seems to not be in the standard position as other motherboards. It seems to be moved down toward the first pci slots slightly. I have a NH-D15 Heatsink but it blocks the first PCI X16 slot. However, Noctua made a fix and made the NH-D15S heatsink which address that problem but EVGA moving the socket down offsets NOCTUAS fix with the D15S heatsink. At this point all that seems to work will probably be a 120mm wide heatsink. However, smaller heatsink like that wih 120mm fans do not cool nearly as good as their bigger 130-150mm wide counterparts. The question I have is does anyone know of a heatsink that is 120mm wide, provides great cooling for an oc'd I7 6850k, and wont block the first pci x16 slot on the EVGA X99 FTW K Motherboard. I have been looking into watercooling as an option but I do not have any experience with it and would not want a leak. Any suggestions would be welcomed

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Gotcha. I tried. That cooler is compatible with a lot of boards, so I thought it would work. I didn't even look at the board until now, and that might be tough to find a substantial (large) air cooler that will fit on that board without blocking something. I went through a few reviews on the board, and unfortunately they all used water cooling, so no suggestions from there.

Dante16

Mar 20, 2013
I actually found out I can use the Noctua NH U14S in one of its two orientations with this board. I can do so in single or dual fan setup. The U14S seems to be a single tower version of the NH-D15 but matches it and the D15S in air performance cooling. If I did not find this I was moving on to water cooling.