Health insurance premiums to rise because of young adults

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
That's not the premise of the article. Also employer provided health insurance normally has employee, employee+spouse, or family. It doesn't go up just because you add a dependant unless you are specifically changing coverage levels. Family premiums are the same if you have 1, 2 or 10 kids. That AP article has since been updated.

Insurance premium cost for family coverage will increase about 1% as a direct result of allowing these adults to be on their parents employer insurance. If you get your insurnace yourself it won't be as much.

But the fact remains, premiums will rise 1% specifically because of this ONE provision and nothing else. So Obama just forced families to pay more for their insurance if they have a 25 year old "child" or not. Obama lied, health insurance cost rised.

I've never heard of any employer health insurance not costing more to add dependents' insurance. No job I've had has been like that.

If that's the way it's set up, then ANYONE adding a child, before or after healthcare reform, is increasing the cost to everybody without paying an individually increased price. That's not my problem. If employers choose to do business that way, it's their problem.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I've never heard of any employer health insurance not costing more to add dependents' insurance. No job I've had has been like that.

If that's the way it's set up, then ANYONE adding a child, before or after healthcare reform, is increasing the cost to everybody without paying an individually increased price. That's not my problem. If employers choose to do business that way, it's their problem.

there is no premium change in Family plans between 1 or 10 children.
Family plans can be setup to include or exclude the spouse

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008
Per Spidey's post above; my hypothesis is flawed - therefore I would expect that all Family options will increase whether there is an adult child or not covered.

Tossing out numbers (loosely):
300M people population
250M potentially covered people (Gov was stating there were 45M uninsured)
Figured 1/3 of those are non-Family (1 or 2 adults) 80M
170M family related people
Using 2+2 as a family policy unit
45M policies will be affected

Using the 3380 number translates to $15T added costs
Using my first smaller number still has $7T added costs. to the economy

Something does not add up:\

This provision of the bill is adding 1.2 million dependents at 3380/year/dependent to the family policies. There are ???(~45 by your rough numbers) million family policies that this cost will be spread around to, increasing the 13,400K/year family cost by 0.7% or ~94/year. note: 1.2*3380/45=$90/year.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I feel that if you are young and healthy and don't want into the system and want to roll the dice with your life, so be it.

We should be able to opt out of treating and stabilizing you are the ER no matter what condition you are in then.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Well what is it? First this was supposed to be cheaper, then deficit neutral, then lower avg premiums. All theories over time have been disproven. When this thing actually kicks in it probably wont be cost anything like was proposed. A ticking timebomb.

You can operate out of your govt paranoia, that's fine. I am not going to try to dissuade you.
We have also seen insurance premiums escalate wildly even before passage of this bill, so it's not like the cost of doing nothing would not have escalated too.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You can operate out of your govt paranoia, that's fine. I am not going to try to dissuade you.
We have also seen insurance premiums escalate wildly even before passage of this bill, so it's not like the cost of doing nothing would not have escalated too.

This increase of .7% is a direct cause of the legislation. Companies were predicting a 6-7% increase without it.

So pound this through you skull. 10-15% of the increase in insurance costs is directly related to this SINGLE part of the law. Let alone all the rest, just this one seemingly inoculate part of the law. Just this one thing. Just this one thing. Is raising premiums 1% more than what they would have been without it. We called it, I screamed about it and here it is. Happening just like anybody with an ounce of sense could see that the legislation was going to INCREASE COST, not decrease.

Obama lies, insurance cost rised.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I still don't understand why you're complaining about more people buying health insurance and therefore paying more money. Isn't that a good thing?

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
This increase of .7% is a direct cause of the legislation. Companies were predicting a 6-7% increase without it.

So pound this through you skull. 10-15% of the increase in insurance costs is directly related to this SINGLE part of the law. Let alone all the rest, just this one seemingly inoculate part of the law. Just this one thing. Just this one thing. Is raising premiums 1% more than what they would have been without it. We called it, I screamed about it and here it is. Happening just like anybody with an ounce of sense could see that the legislation was going to INCREASE COST, not decrease.

Obama lies, insurance cost rised.

And what about the insurance costs of the people who now will be on their parent's plans instead?

Since they are going down (and being added to their parent's plan) I guess their cost went DOWN OMG MATH IS HARD.

Or for the more subtle approach, while family plans will cost more, that's not the only cost input from that family.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

How old are you? Do you have a real job? A job that offers Insurance? Here's a hint - try to atleast appear to know what you are talking about next time because as it is now - it's quite apparent that you know nothing about Health Insurance as it's structured right now.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
10-15&#37;?

Got news for you, my premiums go up more than that year on year and I hardly ever use my insurance. My company HR department shares all of this info with the employees every year, our rates have gone up 12-15% every year in the 6 years I've worked here.

I would imagine most of the rest of us are in the same boat, if you don't already know these numbers, I would go bug someone in your HR or Accounting department.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
10-15%?

Got news for you, my premiums go up more than that year on year and I hardly ever use my insurance. My company HR department shares all of this info with the employees every year, our rates have gone up 12-15% every year in the 6 years I've worked here.

I would imagine most of the rest of us are in the same boat, if you don't already know these numbers, I would go bug someone in your HR or Accounting department.

But Obama said costs wouldnt go up

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
10-15&#37;?

I think the point that you're missing is that the costs will still increase by whatever amount they normally increase each year, plus ~1% !. IOW, it'll be 1% worse than it would have been otherwise.

It's an unnecessary increase on top of the already insane "market" increases, and it sucks.

The real question is just how many of these ~1% increases are buried deep down in the 2000+ pages of garbage... while we can all look at this and say "meh, it's only 1% worse," what if the little 1% additions equal an overall increase of 5%, or more, for each family or company?

That's a fuckload of money man!

I have a feeling that the true costs of this debacle will be mindboggling and completely unsustainable longterm, I really do. I had hoped that they would come up with something to curb the tising company/family costs, not increase them even more. It's almost as though they are sabotaging the system on purpose... :(

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
And what about the insurance costs of the people who now will be on their parent's plans instead?

Since they are going down (and being added to their parent's plan) I guess their cost went DOWN OMG MATH IS HARD.

Or for the more subtle approach, while family plans will cost more, that's not the only cost input from that family.

Many of those people do not have insurance.

Either
  • The cost is higher than what they can afford
  • The employer does not offer it
  • They are rolling the dice
  • They are covered by some other insurance package (usually government)

The first 3 options are increasing the overall costs - they are not coming off of some plan.

If using the 4th option; they will not want to switch. Coverage and ease of use; plus other benefits.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
More young healthy people does lower average premiums per person. Do you see the difference between that and an employee adding offspring to their insurance causing his total premium to increase? Are you at all familiar with how insurance works?

Here is what you're saying: "If a person chooses to be insured it costs them money and that is a greater cost than $0 therefore premiums won't decrease".

In what reality does a person buy insurance without it costing him anything? Fantasy Teabagland?

Barking up the wrong tree. It wasnt me that made those arguments. I have been saying this legislation is going to cost us money, and a lot since day one.