Health Dept.: Homeless Can’t Eat Deer Meat

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
While what the Dept of Health did was stupid, it should be noted that after the firestorm, they announced they are reviewing and revising their rules on this issue. At least, that's what I heard on the radio this morning.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I think the rational is that the deer meat as provided to the shelter has not been inspected like other meat. The moral question is whether or not homeless people are so under valued by society that we can just feed them whatever garbage is donated and they should be happy to have it or if they should be provided food that is guaranteed in its safety.

A hunter eating what he has killed is different because he bears the entire risk of eating it.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I think the rational is that the deer meat as provided to the shelter has not been inspected like other meat. The moral question is whether or not homeless people are so under valued by society that we can just feed them whatever garbage is donated and they should be happy to have it or if they should be provided food that is guaranteed in its safety.

A hunter eating what he has killed is different because he bears the entire risk of eating it.

Some someone comes in with beef fresh off the hoof to donate has the same issue.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

What value are they contributing exactly?

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I was referring to the value of their life. If we only measure that value in terms of the money they put in the pocket of the wealthy than the value is zero and the shelters should be closed.

Feb 6, 2007
What value are they contributing exactly?

They're serving as cautionary examples for the inevitable moment when the majority of us wonder whether it's worth busting our ass to make someone else rich and realize the alternative is debating whether deer meat should be classified as garbage or something fit for our consumption.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
If someone donated that much deer meat to me and I had the freezer space for it I would be the happiest person on earth.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Venison is very testy when prepared well and very expensive when ordered in a fancy restaurant. I guess they should eat fish sticks and chicken nuggets.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Why not leave it up to the individual whether they would rather go hungry or take that risk? How can I be trusted to wipe my own ass without government first inspecting my toilet paper to make sure it has enough plies to keep my hands from getting poo all over them?

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Just to be clear I am not saying deer meat is garbage. I am saying if it arrives without some kind of inspection it has to be assumed to be unsafe.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
A starving person is not going to be thinking rationally and will likely eat anything including a leather boot. The greater question is if a country can be considered great if it allows its citizens to fall through the cracks.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Thats the thing, it was prepared well and the state never gave that shelter anything. It was all ran on donations. They estimated 3,200 meals would not be served because of this so the poor get to be hungry for awhile.

And another thing, this is a perfect example of charitable people going out of their way to help those in need. Just to have government swoop in and **** everyone, they do not need to be in the business of helping people.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
A starving person is not going to be thinking rationally and will likely eat anything including a leather boot. The greater question is if a country can be considered great if it allows its citizens to fall through the cracks.

Allows?

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I was referring to the value of their life. If we only measure that value in terms of the money they put in the pocket of the wealthy than the value is zero and the shelters should be closed.

You're absolutely right. In situations where the shelters in question don't have money to purchase 'off the shelf' meat, we should turn the homeless away and let them starve while a perfectly acceptable food supply (and one that many pay extra to eat at fancy restaurants) is available.

Never mind that the homeless are, by and large, adults who can make the decision to eat or not eat the meat.

Your argument is patently ridiculous, and you're clearly letting an overdeveloped sense of morality get in the way of common sense.

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Just to be clear I am not saying deer meat is garbage. I am saying if it arrives without some kind of inspection it has to be assumed to be unsafe.

I would happily eat that meat myself and it's not like I couldn't afford to buy meat from the store.

We eat plenty of garbage that is "inspected" and supposed to be safe.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
By your logic there should be no regulation of food period since we can all decide for ourselves whether or not a given meal is safe to eat. I personally would not trust anyone else to make my food if I knew they would make it any way they want without fear of regulation or inspection and only take cost of production into account.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
You would think they could work out some sort of arrangement to inspect and butcher the meat in return for a tax writeoff with a local butcher.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Governments have and will continue to kill people by the millions. What you see here is just one small example. But of course the indoctrinated worshippers of Big Government, and all things Hitlerean, will never understand that and will never figure out what the proper solution is: get frickin rid of big government. If someone dies eating the frickin meat then they can go after the frickin shelter and/or even the guy who brought in the meat. Otherwise, piss off. It has NOTHING to do with the government. People can either lie down like dogs and take this crap, or declare their independence.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Well when you put it that way it all makes sense.

If someone is trying to make sure my food is safe to eat that person is actually Hitler.

If someone gives me a meal and it kills me that is also good because I can return from the grave and try to "get" them.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Well when you put it that way it all makes sense.

If someone is trying to make sure my food is safe to eat that person is actually Hitler.

If someone gives me a meal and it kills me that is also good because I can return from the grave and try to "get" them.

Yea but I would trust freshly killed dear meat WAY before I trust hamburger that has been ran through chlorine and all sorts of other chemicals handled by over 200 people that came from cows standing waist high in their own filth to ensure my safety.