Health Care IT people -Can a database hosted on a virtual server be Hippa Compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I have a client that needs to launch a hippa compliant application running on Windows 2003/Coldfusion/Oracle. They are also trying to save costs since this deployment will be a backup, and not the primary site. It still needs to be active though, so that it can receive updates to the data, etc. If there is ever a disaster, we can re-allocate resources to the server pretty quickly, in case capacity needs to grow.

Having said that, can a secure Virtual Machine be hippa compliant since the hardware is still shared? Nobody else would be getting into their OS, etc. but there would be multiple virtual machines running from the same NAS. So technically, the data is on a shared storage system.

Assuming all of their other practices are hippa compliant, would this still be applicable?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I'd say unless you can absolutely insure that no other user on that hardware can get to the data, the answer is no. HIPPAA requires strict logging and access control.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
What containers are you using to virtualize? ZEN/HYPER V/VMWARE should be compliant, I wouldn't think OpenVZ would be.

Last edited:

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
I wish HIPPA had taken the time & come up with a name so they could've been HIPPO.

that is all.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You should have a compliance officer on site no? I'd consult them. If not, go find one. Govt cracks down hard on people and ignorance wont get you out of it either.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
ok people.. it's not HIPPA .. it's

HIPAA.gif

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm a L3 tech at a hospital and we have a couple DB servers on VMs in VMware, so I guess it's ok. I know for Meditech they have stricter requirements such as having to be raid 10, and the way it's setup in general is fairly strict. A typical compliant SAN will run you in the millions. There's not that much data (couple TB I think) but it has to be on a very fast and efficient SAN. That's not so much a hippa requirement then a technical requirement, though. We don't host the Meditech part, we just host the rest like misc apps like what HR, infection control etc use as well as email, domain, and so on. There's actually DBs on user's PCs... I HATE that, that's just not the way of doing things.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Yes, we have a number of databases housing PHI data that run on VMWare ESX and our HIPAA Compliance Office and Security Office don't have any issues with it. Standard practices that apply to physical hardware apply to virtuals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.