Headset or Speakers for Gaming

Robt2009

Jan 21, 2009
I recently moved and don't have the desk anymore to have the 5.1 speaker setup. I am currently considering three different options for my gaming and wondering what peoples thoughts are

1. Just keep the L,R,C speaker from my Logitech speakers (5.1)

2. Get a new pair of 2.1 speakers

3. Get a gaming headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16826265065

I was using an old Audigy Value SB card but now using the Onboard Realtek1200 with my new Mobo.

My only other concern is that I have a TV in the room and do like to game and listen to TV at the same time, and the headset could be a problem.

THoughts?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I'd go with option 1, no need to spend more if you have a capable speaker system that you're happy with.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
4. Get some really good headphones.

You'd be amazed at the 3D image you can get from a good pair of old-fashioned cans, and the quality is second to none. You can get some used Beyerdynamic DT770s for about $125 or so; if powered properly, these will give the sort of bass a Logitech sub could only dream of.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I never tried anything thats labeled and marketed as a "gaming headset", so there is a certain amount of benefit of doubt to be given. Most credible accounts of experiences with them I have read have been majorly pessimistic compared to "real" headphones, however.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
if you were going to get some headphones I definately wouldnt go for the ones you linked. get some sennheiser 555's or something.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
If the tv is a must I would recommend against a headset.
If you don't need a mic get a true pair of headphones.

If you need a mic get a gaming headset (i.e. steelseries, razer), unless of course you can deal with a zalman clip-on (i.e. I think they are crap, can't get them to stay in one place and the sound sucks imo, but others rave about the cheap things), if so then get one of those with a true pair of headphones.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
the Sennheiser PC350 has good audio and a good microphone. Make sure to buy an amp for it though for better sound quality and volume. And yea, it's kinda pricey. I'd probably just keep your speakers.

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
The headphones you picked out are crap. Either stick with the speakers, which I think a 5.1 system is great for gaming. Or you can pick up a set of decent headphones. If you want "gaming" get Steelseries 5Hv2. If you want something that's got great sound quality the Sennheiser PC 350's or the HD550's are good.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Son and I just got Grado SR80's (@ $100.)

Wow, 3 times better than our previous Koss cans. Online FPS games like COD-MW and WaW...much better sound location...no one sneaks up on us anymore!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
2.1 of higher quality
decent headphones of simple stereo. 5.1 headphones are a gimmick
speakers are more comfortable though, so unless you gotta be quiet all the time, invest in the speakers

nestlewater

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Originally posted by: Robt2009
I recently moved and don't have the desk anymore to have the 5.1 speaker setup. I am currently considering three different options for my gaming and wondering what peoples thoughts are

1. Just keep the L,R,C speaker from my Logitech speakers (5.1)

2. Get a new pair of 2.1 speakers

3. Get a gaming headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16826265065

I was using an old Audigy Value SB card but now using the Onboard Realtek1200 with my new Mobo.

My only other concern is that I have a TV in the room and do like to game and listen to TV at the same time, and the headset could be a problem.

THoughts?

Do, the Oamp mod to your sound card. it'll change your life.