Headset I can use on PS4 and PC

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've never really looked into headsets until recently. I think I want to own one but it must meet both of my requirements and after watching a ton of YouTube reviews I'm left confused.

I want the headset to be compatible with PS4 pro and PC. I recently got hellblade on PC and they recommend using a headset even though I have decent speakers, I see how that game would benefit from a headset.

What's a wireless headset that has great sound quality that I can use on both systems? Not at the same time, my PC and PS4 are in separate rooms anyway.

The arctis 7's looked very nice but reviews say the sound sucks. The Logitech g933 seem to have great sound according to reviews.

The hyper x cloud are also good from what I researched, just don't like the mini USB charging requirement.

The astro a50's seem to be the most expensive but I see people talk alot of crap about them on the internet. Why is that?

And it doesn't look like seinnheiser makes a wireless headset compatible with both PC and console.

I'll most likely use the headset a lot if it's good when I do play games so I want something nice, but I don't want to deal with cords and have to sit close to my PS4.

Any recommendations I may have missed?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Keep in mind that headsets include microphones while headphones do not.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I have plenty of headphones which I use for the gym. This is specifically for headsets, so I would expect the headset to also have a mic.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The a50 are actually used a lot on the gaming scene, so one would hope they dont suck.
Considering you are a AT lifer, when you say "good set of speakers" that probably means "amazing set of speakers", and no gaming headset will match them in quality. But, the quality drop wouldnt be dramatic.
Thing is,in the industry, the major players like Razer and Steelseries and Astro and whatnot, they produce sets of an audio quality that meets gamers needs and no more. What they instead focus on is compatibility, design + marketing, ease of use (built in mic, adjustable strap) and finally build quality.
The audio reproduction is also designed to work for games, so it's not really "hifi" but it does what it needs to do.

Frankly i wont use headphones unless im in a tournament, and then it's only because they help audio positioning (being able to tell where the enemy is by sound alone), not "for the experience", and given that you want a set that works on ps4 as well, i figure you are not a tournament player.

If you want compatibility of that kind - wireless on USB, and with built in microphone - no high-end set exists, you will have to buy from the "gaming" range. In that range, they all more or less perform the same.

I hear the Siberia have a good reputation, i would start with those.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard good things about the Arctis Siberia 800. Unfortunately they don't have them anywhere in the stores to try them out. The replaceable battery seems cool too.

I have a microcenter 14 minutes from me so I went there last night. Had a tough time deciding between the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum and the Arctis 7, both wireless.

I went with the Logitech mainly for two reasons. It was on sale for $127 vs $149, not a big deal and in terms of comfort the g933 felt the same. They also have a usb dongle that conceals nicely inside the outer part of the ear cups whereas the Arctis 7's have a dongle with a wire that protrudes out and hangs around or drops down depending where you place it.

The G933's also have a removable and replaceable lithium ion battery. It pops right out and can be replaced if it goes bad.

In terms of sound, the g933 is great, it has that nicely balanced surround sound with good bass. Something that I read about the Arctis was sort of lacking. Many people online said they sounded bad or were flat, like tin cans.

But I've read conflicting reports about the 7's where people said they returned them because they didn't like the sound they produced and others said they were amazing.

I'm curious what they are like so since there is a 30 day return policy I could easily return the Logitech ones and try out the Arctis 7's. But at the same time I'm also curious about the Siberia model.

The only thing that bothers me about those is you need to carry that base box with you to every system you want to use them on, plug everything in, etc. The same thing could be said for the Astro's. Since my PC is in my bedroom and the PS4 in the living room the G933's small usb dongle is much more convenient to setup and clean up.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Sennheiser Game Zero's or Game Ones depending on if you want open or closed cans.

They come with two cables - one for PS4/Xbox that is 4 pole and then a cable for PC that separates into green and red plugs for your mobo/soundcard

You can't beat the Sennheiser sound. Beats Logi for sure.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah seinnheiser makes great headsets but I wanted wireless. I was looking at the game one's too. I'm happy to far with the Logitech. They even sound very nice on the PS4.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just picked up 633s for 68 as my 930s would barely hold a charge so decided to go corded this time. Right now only thing I wish for was that is was usb c instead of micro for better performance over time of the connection point. I also had the issue where sound seemed weak and found that Windows sound setting had the audio levels unbalanced. Fixing that restored sound quality.