Headphone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Capt Caveman, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

What would you recommend for Headphones at the $150 range? My guess is some version of Sennheisers?

2. mcvickj

mcvickj Diamond Member

3. thegimp03

thegimp03 Diamond Member

Beyerdynamic and Audio-Technica make some good headphones and should have some in that price range. About 5 years ago I picked up some Audio-Technica A500's for about $100 and still use them to this day. Only recently had to replace the earpads and the support guys only charged me for shipping.

4. BergeLSU

BergeLSU Senior member

5. evident

evident Lifer

sennheiser hd-595

6. mnewsham

mnewsham Lifer

7. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

I bought some Audio-Technica ATH-M30's and I wish I would have sprung the extra few dollars for the M50s. They had gotten so many good reviews on Amazon, I decided to give them a shot. I should have known better. They sound fine, but not as good as my old MDR-V6 SONY that it replaced and the SONY was about the same price.

If it's one thing I've learned through the years, you shouldn't skimp out on a good pair of phones.

8. highland145

highland145 Lifer

Dr Dre beatz.

I kid, I kid.

9. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

10. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

Well these I just got and they are super similar to a pair I had before, which worked for me for a good few years... and still work, but the coating on the foam was coming off, these ones just start out as foam so they should never have that issue.

They do sort of hurt a little bit, feel a bit tight, but I think that's due to being brand new.

Why do you ask?

They don't pinch my head or hurt NEARLY as much as the more expensive Sennheisers people are mentioning here. I tried those first.

11. NL5

NL5 Diamond Member

DT770's. Best bang for the buck around.

12. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

Grado 125i's at that pricepoint

13. homercles337

homercles337 Diamond Member

14. Sephire

Sephire Golden Member

D:

15. highland145

highland145 Lifer

There, you see it, what I did there?

:p

16. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

Definitely go with Sennheiser.

17. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

I'm just making sure no one brought up Bose crap yet!!!

:cool:

18. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

Can't go wrong with Grado.

19. SphinxnihpS

SphinxnihpS Diamond Member

20. hans030390

hans030390 Diamond Member

I would consider the ATH-M50 or the HD558 at that price range. Both have neutral-ish sound signatures and will work well out of most devices. The ATH-M50 is a closed headphone with a slight emphasis on the bass and treble. The HD558 is open-backed and has a lighter, airier sound in comparison.

If you don't mind going the DIY route and are willing to invest a bit of money in a DAC/amp (even some sound cards do the trick), I would get the Fostex T50RP and spend about $50 in mods on it. I promise you that you will find it very difficult to find better sound for less than $300. PM me if interested.

The Sennheiser HD429 isn't bad...someone mentioned the HD439 above. The treble and upper mids are a bit subdued, but they're really quite nice to listen to and a great deal at around $50-75. Unfortunately, they feel quite fragile, especially the cable.

The Monoprice 8323 is a great deal at $30. Bass-heavy signature, but still a great budget can. I think they respond very well to mods. I go as far as swapping out the pads , but that's an extra $20 or so, and many people like them stock.

I'm not sure how much the V-Moda M-80 is, but it's not bad if you don't mind bass-heavy cans.

Ultrasone headphones measure like crap in general. I think there is maybe one or two that have mostly decent characteristics. Grados are like sticking nails in your ears (huge emphasis on upper mids and treble...very annoying). Older Beyerdynamic headphones aren't bad, but there are better options IMO. The DT880 isn't bad, but is slightly metallic sounding from what I've heard. The DT770 has a weird emphasis in the lower bass but might not be terrible. The DT990 had a weird bass/low-mid hump and treble spike. Bleh. Their newer offerings with the Tesla drivers seem to have quality control issues and are generally just not very good. Generally stay away from Monster, Beats, Bose...stuff like that.

#21 hans030390, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  21. tcG

tcG Golden Member

Nobody has mentioned how you are going to power these headphones, which is surprising considering most headphones in your price range will sound like different headphones (read: 10x better) with proper power.

22. IHateMyJob2004

Has anyone bothered to ask if the OP is buyinga headphone amp also or if he has one already?

Most of the recomendations here are crap if these are being driven by an iPod. iPods can't drive better headphones that are not intended for casual use. Unless you have a custom built PC with a good sound card (not just some soundblaster), you are also wasting your money.

No headphone amp? Just get Grado SR-60s or Senn HD280s.

Hate to be a jerk though. BUt no oneelse asked this either. Do you want in ear, open air or closed cans?

Can't beleice how irresponsible p[eople are with other peoples money.

EDIT: Oh, the guy above me. Everyone else here officially knows nothing about headphones.

23. IHateMyJob2004

Given the genre of music the OP listens to, why have you concluded this?

Ya, see how I did that everyone?

24. Clinkster

Clinkster Senior member

I bought the M50s myself on a $99 sale a year ago. Highly recommend.