Headphone amps: is my Xonar U7 not doing justice to music?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'll say up front that after switching from my Sennheiser HD280 Pro to the HD598, my jaw nearly hit the floor, and I can't find any flaw at this point in time. Maybe as I adjust to these, but right now, it's still just a shock how much more of my music shines through. The open-back nature helps, of course, but also they are just so much more full. I'll have to try and do an A-B comparison later and see try to directly compare how music sounds between the two sets of cans, but it won't be a perfect A-B as I have to pause, unplug, then plug in the other set (I don't have a splitter, plus both have different resistance anyway).

However, I am curious to know if there is anything more magical to be had that I might be missing. I understand all amps are not the same, they will have their own tendency to "color" the music to some degree.

Is the built-in amp of the Xonar U7 greatly inferior to something like the Fiio E12?

FWIW, I on the 280 Pros (64ohm) I was using the High Gain (64ohm+) setting in the Xonar control panel. For the 598s (50ohm), I feel like the Medium Gain is better (32-64ohm) as it gives me more volume range to work with. Playing with the volume it doesn't seem like it changes the sound at comparable volume levels, it just makes around 20/100 my upper comfortable volume level instead of closer to 40 or 50.