Head of the British Army urges a prompt withdrawl from Iraq

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
The head of the British Army has said the presence of UK armed forces in Iraq "exacerbates the security problems".

In an interview in the Daily Mail, Sir Richard Dannatt, Chief of the General Staff, is quoted as saying the British should "get out some time soon"...

BBC political editor Nick Robinson described Sir Richard's remarks as "quite extraordinary".

He said the new head of British army was "effectively saying we are making the situation worse in Iraq and worse for ourselves around the world by being in Iraq".

The comments "directly contradicted so much of what the government had said", our correspondent added.

Sir Richard might be issuing a "very public warning" to the next prime minister, he said.

In his interview, Sir Richard added that any initial tolerance "has largely turned to intolerance. That is a fact."

Sir Richard, who took on his role in August, also said planning for what happened after the initial successful war military offensive was "poor, probably based more on optimism than sound planning".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6046332.stm

Of course we all know that if we stay the course with no revisions to our tactics or strategy whatsoever everything will work out wonderfully. Its a good thing that the US government reserved 20 million dollars for a US victory celebration this year as the insurgengy and the violence in Iraq is ended.:roll:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061004/pl_afp/usiraqvictorypolitics_061004190753

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Well, duh.
btw after the elections Jim Bakers commission will probably call for a three way partition of Iraq.
I guess my posting that this was the only possible way to improve the situation only took 3 years to get thru.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Well, duh.
btw after the elections Jim Bakers commission will probably call for a three way partition of Iraq.
I guess my posting that this was the only possible way to improve the situation only took 3 years to get thru.

Eh, that might complicate things too much for Cheney's buddies in Halliburton.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Balt
Well, duh.

Eh, that might complicate things too much for Cheney's buddies in Halliburton.
Halliburton is about to make a killing in Russia now that the Russians have decided to develope the one of the largest new oil fields in the world on their own.
Which they don't have the expertise for.
So they will hire.....
Halliburton.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Sir Richard Dannatt will be gone by noon tomorrow.
Hopefully he has his "Old soldier never die, they just fade away" speech ready.

For the record, I agree with his assesment.

EDIT 2

I am so full of it. Check this article.

Quote "Tony Blair has given his support to the new head of the UK army, who has made controversial comments on the Iraq war."

My confidense in my political analisys skills is badly shaken.

Going back to Off topic.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Number1
I dunno. The Brits may still have some respect for the military leaders opinions.
Unlike the US where we listen to a guy whose daddy got him a National Guard appointment so he wouldn't have to fight. And which he never finished.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Number1
I dunno. The Brits may still have some respect for the military leaders opinions.
Unlike the US where we listen to a guy whose daddy got him a National Guard appointment so he wouldn't have to fight. And which he never finished.

How can he lead and send people to their death if he does not believe in the mission.
He's a gonner.

SEE my first post.
:eek:

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Lets see... That leaves Blair, Laura and Barney.

(and barney is digging a hole under the white house fence)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its time we sent in Barney and Laura over to Iraq. Don't send in GWB---cause he would just screw things up more.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its time we sent in Barney and Laura over to Iraq to replace all those worthless Brits. Don't send in GWB---cause he would just screw things up more.

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
His view that Afghanistan probably isn't all lost cause yet(where Iraq is) echoes what 'Gary Brecher' has been writing for some time. 'Gary Brecher' may be a bit extreme, but he undoubtedly have a couple of points in most of his writings.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Link

Either misunderstood or misquoted.

He is indicating a phased withdrawl

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Link

No he "clarified" his remarks. Certainy after political pressure.
But he didn't withdraw his main points. He didn't retract the part about how British presence is fueling the insurgency.
AND he didn't refute his call to leave Iraq. He just said it should be done in phases over 2-3 years.
So not misunderstood since no one thought he meant immediately.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Link

No he "clarified" his remarks. Certainy after political pressure.
But he didn't withdraw his main points. He didn't retract the part about how British presence is fueling the insurgency.
AND he didn't refute his call to leave Iraq. He just said it should be done in phases over 2-3 years.
So not misunderstood since no one thought he meant immediately.
To me, the word "Prompt" would indicate immediately - as quickly as possible/feasible

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Stayyyyy the course. Stayyyyyy the course. Stayyyyyy the course. /bushbrokenrecord

Slay the Horse

Gut and Run

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
the hangman pulls the lever.

the condemned criminal falls through the trapdoor, snapping the rope taught around his neck and he immediately starts doing the airborne version of the riverdance.

as he's now doing a good m.jackson moonwalk impression or maybe just trying to learn how to fly in one easy lesson, he manages to force out a barely comprehensible utterance: "my zombies still believe in me! i am still their king! long live the king!"

as the criminal gives his one last ballet-like twinkle toes tip-toe thru the tulip shuffle his minions reply in unison:

eh?, what am i doing here? and who was that stiff-jerky that got rope-jerked over there? now, where was i?

meahwhile, his accomplices are hiding out and waitng a few weeks for the mass short-term-memory-loss phenomena to kick in on the rest of the townsfolk.

wash, rinse, repeat...

*edit* - correction