He is "lead by" or "led by"?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
If one were to say, "he is le(a)d by a group of blah blah"..

Would it be "led" or "lead"?

Reading it out, one would read it as "led by"..but how does one write it out?

The word in question is present tense, so by that definition it'd be "lead"..however it's pronounced in its past tense form, "led". So should one automatically just read "lead" as "led", or should it be written as "led" altogether?

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
A single person is not led by anyone or anything, only groups are led. He might be lead, but only if he's a statue. He might lead, but only if you follow him.

I have it from a trusted source that Toucan Sam is led by his nose.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Come on, this is ATOT! No one knows or cares about spelling and grammar!

Lead FTW! :D

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
A single person is not led by anyone or anything, only groups are led. He might be lead, but only if he's a statue. He might lead, but only if you follow him.

yeah, normally you wouldn't say "He is led by...," but rather would say "He follows..." So in this case it would be most appropriate to say, "He follows a group of blah blah blah."

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Savij
He does indeed follow his nose, because it knows.

"He was led here by x" (given directions) is normal usage, "he is led by Ned Flanders" (takes orders from) is not. As mooglekit noted, "he follows Ned Flanders" is the normal way to write that a person obe-diddly-eys the Ned.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Savij
He does indeed follow his nose, because it knows.

Fruit Loops....

[/Homer Simpson]Mmmmmmmmm.......

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Originally posted by: mooglekit

yeah, normally you wouldn't say "He is led by...," but rather would say "He follows..." So in this case it would be most appropriate to say, "He follows a group of blah blah blah."

It's not about which one is more appropriate, it's which of the two presented options is most correct.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Alone

It's not about which one is more appropriate, it's which of the two presented options is most correct.
"Follows" or "led by" depending on the details. You're led by a sherpa up a mountain or by your nose to the tasty froot loops, he follows Ned Flanders or his team is led by Apu.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
"Follows" or "led by" depending on the details. You're led by a sherpa up a mountain or by your nose to the tasty froot loops, he follows Ned Flanders or his team is led by Apu.
This topic is about led vs lead, not led vs follows.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And the answer is: led by or follows, not lead.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
And the answer is of course, led by, not lead.

Fixed.

If I ask "Should I wear my white shirt or blue shirt", you're to choose one of the two, not say "the stripped one". While it may be the more appropriate shirt to wear, it is not what I was asking.

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
Only if you don't consider proper grammatical style to be a part of proper grammar. The overuse of the passive verbs (is, be, etc.) is considered poor writing style, as active verbs are more engaging, frequently more concise, and often serve to clarify the passage. :D

Have fun!

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Only if you don't consider proper grammatical style to be a part of proper grammar. The overuse of the passive verbs (is, be, etc.) is considered poor writing style, as active verbs are more engaging, frequently more concise, and often serve to clarify the passage. :-D
You're missing the point entirely. He wasn't asking which should be used, he was asking which of the two is correct.

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
Only if you don't consider proper grammatical style to be a part of proper grammar. The overuse of the passive verbs (is, be, etc.) is considered poor writing style, as active verbs are more engaging, frequently more concise, and often serve to clarify the passage. :-D
You're missing the point entirely. He wasn't asking which should be used, he was asking which of the two is correct.
No worries, I know he is, and I voted for "led" already...just adding to the discussion ;)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And the answer is of course, led by, not lead.
(not) Fixed.
If I ask "Should I wear my white shirt or blue shirt", you're to choose one of the two, not say "the stripped one". While it may be the more appropriate shirt to wear, it is not what I was asking.
If a question is "do cows udder the sound 'arf arf' or 'meow'?" one is not forced to chose between incorrect answers. Unless one is easily misled, or follows instructions blindly.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
No worries, I know he is, and I voted for "led" already...just adding to the discussion ;)

Got it. =]

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
Now, on to the more important question...for the people who voted "lead"," do you have an image of some guy having chunks of heavy metal tossed at him by a group of monkeys?