HDTV Ready?!?

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
it means that the tv is "ready" for HDTV but you need a tuner to receive the signal. The tuner can be different like an OTA (over the air) tuner or like a dss hdtv tuner that has the OTA built into it also or your cable provider will provide you with a tuner.

The tv's with integrated HDTV have the OTA tuner built in..so all you would need is an antenna to receive the signal.

Hope this helps.

Jun 18, 2000
All it means is that the television will accept an HDTV signal. That does not always mean that it will display HDTV content in actual high definition.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
All it means is that the television will accept an HDTV signal. That does not always mean that it will display HDTV content in actual high definition.

The resolution issue is another question mark in my head. It has been difficult to find a definitive source to explain the types of buzzwords that manufacturers slap on to so called 'HDTV' displays.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: d3n
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

The resolution issue is another question mark in my head. It has been difficult to find a definitive source to explain the types of buzzwords that manufacturers slap on to so called 'HDTV' displays.

look for 720p, 7201, 1080p, or 1080i. they're the most common markers of actual HDTV capabilities. i or p stand for interlaced/progressive.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
damn...I thought you all would've known that I was being sarcastic. See, I'm much more sarcastic in real life, but don't tend to be as snippy online...I do it once and look what happens. :)

my bad ^_^

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jcuadrado
it means that the tv is "ready" for HDTV but you need a tuner to receive the signal. The tuner can be different like an OTA (over the air) tuner or like a dss hdtv tuner that has the OTA built into it also or your cable provider will provide you with a tuner.

The tv's with integrated HDTV have the OTA tuner built in..so all you would need is an antenna to receive the signal.

Hope this helps.

Isn't every TV "HD Ready" then?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
no, most older TVs simply cannot support the number of lines that HD contains. You have either an "HDTV display" (which is just like a computer monitor...able to do lots of things, but useless w/o a video card) or an HDTV, which has a built in tuner of some sort (whether it be the new CableCard or older ATSC tuner).