HDTV and QAM

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Been finding a little difficulty getting help on avsforums, so...

My understanding is you can LEGALLY get free TV from cable services, if they send signals "in the clear" i.e., not encrypted. Usually, this boils down to just local stations (the FCC DOES NOT allow them to encrypt OTA channels like from local NBC affiliates). My TV has a tuner, but it's not doing it. I bought and returned a Samsung tuner from circuit city, and that also failed to do the job.

I've tried scanning for cable with the STD, IRC, and HRC options selected. I only have one plug on the back marked for "cable." My digital/analog tuner for OTA works perfectly fine. The thing is somewhere I ran across someone who CLAIMED you had to have a separate digital cable plug from the back of the set for QAM to work, otherwise, all you're using is the normal analog tuner.

I've confirmed from another poster in my area (Charlotte, NC) that Time-Warner doesn't encrypt the local channels, so unless it's something I'm doing wrong with using the TV, then it would be... something else. I dunno, since I tried a popular tuner which also picked up nothing.

Really, I just want to be able to try watching the Bionic Woman, Smallville, and Big Brother (next year since it's already over for the summer) since my reception for those three networks is awful in my part of town.

So... help?

Caesar

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
You are sure that your tv has QAM tuner? You should see the channels from cable if it has one.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
use an antenna

Why would he want to spend money on an antenna when he can get the channels for free from his cable provider?

OP - I was unable to get some channels at first, and the problem was the quality of signal coming into the TV. I rectified that by using better splitters.

Edit: whoever told you that you have to have two separate cables to use a QAM tuner was wrong. That's just stupid. It all comes in on the same lines.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
In turn:

FoBot: I use an antenna already, but I can't get NBC, CW, or CBS from my location, hence the desire for the QAM thing.

CaesaR: Yep. Says so in my TV manual.

mugs: splitters? I'm plugging it in directly to the wall...

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Are you paying for cable TV?
No. QAM lets you get unencrypted channels without paying for them.
There's your problem. You still have to pay for at least basic service. Your cable line is probably filtered out or not even hooked up.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Do you get any regular cable (SD) channels over the cable without paying? If not, then you probably don't have a signal. Free QAM still assumes you're paying for the bare minimum cable service.

Mar 10, 2005

WTF? OK, slowly:

QAM is quadrature amplitude modulation. it is a data transmission technology, not any kind of legal statute.

OTA channels are carried in the clear, analog and digital, on cable service.

To obtain cable service, pay the cable company.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
There's your problem. You still have to pay for at least basic service. Your cable line is probably filtered out or not even hooked up.
Ah. THANK. YOU. Seriously. Do you have any idea how hard it is for people to MENTION little details like that?! The avsforums know their stuff, but they usually assume you're an expert yourself, leaving people like me utterly confused.

*Sigh* Back to antenna for me, then...

EDIT:
And The Boston Dangler, no crap QAM's not a legal statute. I'm clueless, not stupid.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Ah. THANK. YOU. Seriously. Do you have any idea how hard it is for people to MENTION little details like that?! The avsforums know their stuff, but they usually assume you're an expert yourself, leaving people like me utterly confused.

*Sigh* Back to antenna for me, then...

EDIT:
And The Boston Dangler, no crap QAM's not a legal statute. I'm clueless, not stupid.
Well the assumption is that most people wouldn't take it quite so literally. The HD feeds of the local channels indeed must be carried and done so unencrypted, but this is done for the customers, not for everyone at large.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I agree with you on the avsforums. When I go there I never have any idea what's going on. Not exactly the friendliest place for newbies who don't even have the basics down.

I'm still uncertain on something:

I recently got the OnAir GT HDTV tuner: http://www.autumnwave.com/Consumers/OnAir-GT.html

It's actually got something of a following over at avsforums.

Ok, so I know that the included antenna will allow me to maybe pick up OTA HD signals and view them.

I have basic analog cable service right now. If I plug this in, I'll be able to view my regular analog channels. Will I also be able to get any unencrypted HD channels?

If I go order HDTV tier whatever from Time Warner Cable, will this thing allow me to view HDTV on my computer and record it? Would I even need a set top box?

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001

OMG. Just as I thought. What a 'tard.
No need to go into your developmental disabilities.

EDIT:
fuzzybabybunny: Under the features page, it includes "QAM", so you should get anything that's not encrypted. Usually, just local channels, though some carriers have been slack about encrypting all of their other content, as seen with this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2167389/pagenum/all/