Question HDMI to DVI cable problem

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I built a computer for a customer (socket 1200 gen) and its board only has HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. The customer has a monitor with a DVI socket on, and I naturally thought I could use a HDMI to DVI cable to connect the two. It didn't work, the monitor reported no signal through the cable.

Luckily I had a DVI -> HDMI adapter and a spare DVI cable which worked. I had two theories going forward, one was that I have a faulty cable, and the other is that I think I saw somewhere such a cable being sold but with a warning that it would only work a specific way around. I didn't buy that cable, but I was wondering whether there's more going on what with HDMI/HDCP etc and even though DVI and HDMI are quite similar, perhaps there are these little swings and roundabouts to be encountered occasionally.

I just tried the cable on a monitor at home and another computer I've built with the same board as the first and the cable works fine.

The only other difference I'm aware of between the cable I ended up using for that customer and this one is that the one that worked was a DVI single-link cable and this cable is a dual-link type. I wonder whether the customer's monitor didn't like the dual-link nature of the cable?

Are there any further complications in using DVI-HDMI cables that I ought to be aware of?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What's the monitor model and the exact cable you tried to use? Also the CPU and motherboard you used would be relevant too I suppose.

HDMI only carries a single TMDS link vs the potential for two on dual-link DVI-D. I have seen weirdness when using passive adapters to connect to higher resolution dual-link DVI displays. Active DP to HDMI/DVI would be the easiest work around in this situation, or just tell them to buy a modern monitor.

Viper GTS

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
HDMI only carries a single TMDS link vs the potential for two on dual-link DVI-D. I have seen weirdness when using passive adapters to connect to higher resolution dual-link DVI displays. Active DP to HDMI/DVI would be the easiest work around in this situation, or just tell them to buy a modern monitor.
You might be onto something there. If the cable that OP tried was an HDMI-to-dual-link-DVI, then that probably wasn't a passive pass-through mechanical adapter, it probably had conversion chips inside (active), and those have to be powered from one side of the link, thus was likely directional.

Normally the passive DVI-SL-D to HDMI cables work either way round.