HDMI port on panasonic plasma dead??

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by BlahBlahYouToo, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BlahBlahYouToo

tried my ps3, tried my upconverting philips dvd player, and finally tried outputting from PC to the plasma. none worked, but they all work on the other HDMI port.
    i guess it's warranty time :(

how does warranty work? it's been under 1 year.
    do i call circuit city or panasonic?
    will panasonic send a service tech over or do i have to ship?

panasonic th-42px60u
    has this ever happened to any other owners?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - HDMI port panasonic Forum Date
    Panasonic G25 plasma's HDMI ports died - recommendations on new TV? Audio/Video & Home Theater Jun 14, 2016
    Dead HDMI Port Audio/Video & Home Theater Jan 31, 2015
    Ran out of HDMI ports on sub what are my options? Audio/Video & Home Theater Jan 2, 2015
    Weak or no signal on all HDMI Ports after using new HDMI switch Audio/Video & Home Theater Dec 15, 2014
    short on HDMI ports Audio/Video & Home Theater Sep 17, 2013

3. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

Looks like one year at home service for their current plasmas. Didn't see yours on their site. Check the papers that came with the tv.

4. PurdueRy

PurdueRy Lifer

If you did not buy the store warranty, then call Panasonic first. If you bought an extended warranty, call the store.

Stores contract out their repair work. They will be able to set you up with the right people to get it fixed.

Panasonic will likely be more difficult to get results out of. They may, at their discretion, tell you to bring it to the store you bought it at for a replacement, have you take it to a service center, or send out a repairman. I have heard of companies doing each of these cases so you won't know for sure until you reach them. Good luck!

5. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

You have in home service on that model for a year. Call 888-843-9788 to make an appointment.

6. BlahBlahYouToo

so apparently, the tech said too much plugging and unplugging of the hdmi cable will cause some of the pins on the board to get damaged.

7. s44

s44 Diamond Member

8. Muadib

Muadib Lifer

So what did he do? Did he replace the board?

9. BlahBlahYouToo

yes, took him 15 minutes to replace.

he said half his service calls are replacing hdmi boards on various plasma/lcd's of all makes.
    players are immune to this breakage because they have more "support". didn't make sense to me either but who am i to doubt him. he does this for a living.

10. SlickSnake

SlickSnake Diamond Member

SVHS jacks have the same problem as HDMI jacks on TVs. They get lose or bent and stop working.

11. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

HDMI is really a poorly designed jack.
    I was just leaving the consumer electronics industry when it was being tested.
    We had a few cables and interface shipped to us to familiarize us with the design.
    I laughed when I plugged in a cable and it almost pulled the interface board sideways.

Its typically a heavy cable with not much to anchor it to the interface, the jack has no real support on the board.
    Some of us suggested they use the same connector that vga monitors used DB15 with the screws on each side, but were over ruled because then it wouldn't be 'hot plug' and would be too hard for consumers to use. Their words not mine.

sigh

12. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

Never understood the need for signal cables to be hot pluggable.

13. erwos

erwos Diamond Member

If it's easy to take out, it's easy to put in. And, yeah, it's lame. They should have adapter the four analog pins on the DVI-I connector for audio or something.

14. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

Last thing I want is connectors that come off easy.

15. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Like SATA connectors? I lost count on how many I broke. I wish they would make new tech connectors stronger.

16. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

SATA is sad, but at least you don't expect to disconnect it all the time and it is supposed to be inside a computer case... HDMI on the other hand...