HDMI Out keeps dropping out of Sound

Informant X

Jan 18, 2000
Hey guys not sure where to post this. It's the video card audio out so I though I would start here?

So let me start here, I recently bought this system to use as an HTPC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

It's an I3 with Intel HD4400 graphics onboard. Since it's an HTPC I keep the PC on all the time. I have a 32 inch Sylvania TV attached to it. If it boots up with the TV on and attached it has HDMI audio out listed. It's when I turn the TV off and back on that the HDMI audio out drops out.

I've tried updating the BIOS, a few different audio drivers from Realtek, and have the latest Intel drivers. (Since this is HDMI audio out I assume it's probably more of an Intel driver thing no?)

Anyway it's freaking annoying and I have to restart the TV to fix it. The funny thing is, it finally started working after I changed it to the HDMI 1 port on the TV instead of the HDMI 2 port. But one day I toggled the input on the TV itself and it has not worked since then again.

I did some looking online and this seems to be a somewhat common problem, but most of the solutions to fix it haven't worked. Does anyone know of any fixes? Is there someway to FORCE that to stay in there as an audio out source? One "fix" was people making a task you can run that will uninstall/reinstall the driver but that seems a lil cray cray. Any input would be appreciated.

Informant X

Jan 18, 2000
I *think* I have but i'll try again to make sure. I was always thinking a hdmi cable is an hdmi cable is an hdmi cable.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Similar problem here, HDMI from GTX 650 Ti Boost plugged into Denon receiver. Upon fresh startup everything works fine. If I turn off the TV or even switch from HDMI-1 (from receiver) to cable/antenna it loses the audio feed when turned back on or switched back to HDMI-1. I have figured out that if I turn off the receiver first, then the TV, and turn back on the TV before the receiver, the audio usually survives (receiver never sees the TV as being off). Once the audio is lost, the only solution is to reboot the computer (thank goodness for SSD fast boot!).

As a note, I had this PC hooked up to an Onkyo receiver previously and it worked flawlessly. Never dropped audio no matter what happened with TV (on/off, input changes, etc). "Upgraded" to a Denon and now, nothing but problems.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
The problem is with the Windows audio software stack and - to a lesser extent - HDMI handshakes. I've experienced this with AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA and multiple drivers across both. The solution is to go into your audio device settings and DISABLE all audio sources except the HDMI connection. If Windows has no other audio options - except HDMI - then it will never switch. Once you do that, you should never have any issues again. It's been working for me for five years on multiple machines. Give it a try.

Informant X

Jan 18, 2000
Okay thanks, I will try that tonight nick danger. Denithor, this is directly connected to the TV so i can't follow something similar to what you did. Will also try another hdmi cable again. Thanks

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Video and audio are clocked synchronously together with HDMI. That's why when you turn off your display the audio is dropping out--it's sounds most likely a HDMI handshake issue and not much at all like a cable issue.