Question HDMI no longer working on GT 710... display still detected though?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Have this older dual core (i3-3225 I think) PC that I use primarily use for home theater and streaming. It's got a 1GB GT 710 graphics card with DVI and HDMI. Signal to my TV (via HDMI) has always worked fine but more recently just kind of stopped. DVI still works so I tried adding the HDMI display as a second monitor; it gets detected but I never get any signal on the screen. Tried to roll back and upgrade drivers but there's clearly something wrong--as I've never had to do a lick of troubleshooting on it before.

Swapped cables too but I think the port is dead. I assume you can still detect a connected display without actually getting video to said display?

Thoughts? The card is several years old but hasn't really seen that much usage.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Swapped cables too but I think the port is dead. I assume you can still detect a connected display without actually getting video to said display?
Possibly. Try a third (preferably new) cable? (HDMI cables are relatively cheap.)

Is this problem only with a particular display? Does it have multiple HDMI inputs? Possibly switch input ports?

If nothing works, then yeah, port's probably bad on the card. Can happen. (Walk across carpet, bump HDMI cable, static-shock, power-glitch, etc.)

I have some comparable-class cards if you need one really cheap to get you though.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't get video on any display--not just the TV; regardless of what cable I use. Looks like this card gets tossed in the DVI only bin...

There's a refurb 710 on Newegg for like $30 w/ shipping. Might opt to just bump up to GT 1030 like in my other HTPC.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got a BNIB GT 740 GDDR5 1GB for $50 shipped CONUS, if you're interested. Or a BNIB GT 610 for $35 shipped CONUS. USPS Priority shipping.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The GT 740 is a double-wide "ITX style" single-fan. They are not low-profile.

I do have some Gt 730 MSI cards that are single-slot low-profile-ready, with 2GB 64-bit GDDR5. Those would be $85 shipped.

The Gt 610 is LP-ready as well, probably 1.25 slot width. It's a PNY.